Twenty-one - Emma

***Emma***

There was no denying it, Jake’s words stung. They hovered in the air like a bad smell, irritating my eyes so that I cried even more. They hurt so much, probably because they were true. I’d accepted that I was weak not long ago, and here was the boy that loved me telling me. The boy that, if I gave him the chance, could be the best thing in my life... And I was acting too scared.

“Mum!” I called out once I knew they’d left.

She came upstairs, her eyes brimmed with tears, “Your friends seem nice.” She pretended like everything was fine as she spoke, even though she was crying.

“They are,” I said. “Which is why-”

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend,” she commented.

“What?”

“One of the boys said he was your boyfriend,” she said, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand.

“Yeah, exactly. That’s why I’m not leaving. He’s so nice. Do you know he’s the one that brought me back here? I can’t leave him. Sorry, Mum,” I said with a sigh.

She said on the edge of my bed, smoothing down the duvet with dry hands, “I’ve been having second thoughts too.”

“Really?” I enthused.

“Maybe I was a little rash saying we should just up and leave now... Maybe we should just try and see how we get on, make some money, and then maybe leave in a year’s time,” she said.

I shrugged. Like she really meant it.

“Okay, Mum,” I said, hugging her. Thank God I didn’t actually have to put up a fight!

I grabbed the landline and found Jake’s number from the telephone book, pressing dial.

“Who’s this?” his voice said from the other end of the phone.

“We’re not moving,” I said quickly. “I-spoke-to-mum-and-she-said-we-don’t-have-to-move-right-away-or-well-okay-never-so-we-aren’t-moving-isn’t-that-great-oh-my-god-it’s-so-great!”

“Sorry what?” Jake laughed.

“We’re not moving,” I breathed. I heard him repeat it to the others, who cheered.

“So you finally stood up to her then?” he asked.

I didn’t say anything, his words from earlier cutting into the silence.

“Sorry, Emma...You’re not weak,” he lied. He was lying - even I knew I was.

“Whatever,” I said. “I’ll see you at school tomorrow. Maybe we can actually give this whole relationship thing a try. But remember-”

“You have trust issues, so we need to go slow,” Jake said.

“Hey! What are you talking about- trust issues? I just had a douche of an ex,” I laughed.

“Oh crap,” Jake said.

“What? What?” I asked. The second I mentioned ‘ex’, he was freaked out - what was going on?

“Darren got arrested. Didn’t you hear?”

“You’re kidding. What for?” I cried.

“For abusing you,” he said quietly.

“Well...I guess that’s good...” I said. It was: Darren deserved to be in trouble for what he’d done - although not as much as my Dad did. Even so, I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t that bad a person. I mean, he did try and find me.

“Yeah, I guess...” Jake said. “Uh...Emma?”

“Yes, Jake?” I smiled.

“Would you like to go on a date with me to Starbucks in an hour?” he asked.

“It would be my pleasure,” I grinned, dialling off and spinning round my room like someone in a music video. So maybe love might work out this time.

I leafed through my clothes that I’d been ready to pack, finally deciding to wear a pink knit jumper with a locket from my grandmother and some light blue skinny jeans. I was tempted to spend time doing my makeup, but I didn’t see much point, considering Jake had seen me looking far worse.

The scary blackness of my hair was fading now, although the sight of me made me miss Raven and Peter and the others. They still hadn’t called...

“I’m going out,” I announced to Mum, who was stirring tea in the living room whilst watching the news.

She looked up at me with heavy eyes, “To see that boy?”

“Jake, yes,” I said.

“Be careful. You remember what happened with Darren...” she said with a warning tone. She was never like this with me. She was never like anything with me. Usually, she was silent and Dad did all the talking. It was weird being with her like this, especially after all this time away.

“I remember, Mum. But Jake’s different. He really loves me. He actually does!” I said, trying not to let a huge grin spread across my face.

She smiled too, “That’s good. He looked like a nice boy.”

“Yeah,” I said, leaving her to her cup of tea and catching the next bus into town.

*

“Isn’t it supposed to be May?” I said, shivering as I walked towards Jake, who was already waiting outside Starbucks.

“This is England,” he grinned. “C’mon, my treat.”

“Oh, ever the gentleman!” I laughed.

He ordered me a milkshake and a cookie, and then we sat down to talk.

“You look beautiful as usual,” Jake said, his eyes on me.

“Uh, thanks. You look nice too,” I said.

He smiled, “Okay. How’s the art going?”

“Oh, I guess I haven’t really done much...what with being homeless and all,” I said with a small smile. What was it with being with Jake and being unable to not smile?

“Right,” he laughed. “I miss art club - that was one fun time.”

“You only went there for me, didn’t you?” I said bravely. It might not have even been true, but I dared to say it.

He blushed, “Eh- kinda.”

“Hey, are Anna and Callum an item or something?” I asked, remembering they’d been holding hands when they came to visit earlier.

“They started snogging in front of me, so I think so. Plus, Callum told your mum he was Anna’s boyfriend,” he said.

“Wow. I hope Robert’s pissed,” I grinned. “He was horrible to her.”

“Did they sleep together?” Jake asked.

“Yep, and then he dumped her. She’s usually got really crap taste when it comes to guys - she’s lucky with Callum,” I smiled.

“Yeah, he’s a good guy,” Jake nodded.

“What about that girl Lauren?” I asked tentatively, remembering how I’d confused her for Jake’s girlfriend. She was the catalyst for my running away.

“It’s raining! Typical!” Jake moaned, pointing outside to the horrendous weather.

“It is England,” I laughed.

“Let’s go for a walk in the rain,” he suggested. “It’s meant to be very romantic.”