Chapter 20 - Personal Soldier

Sophie's POV

"Hello?" I said picking up the phone. "Sophie Clark?" I heard a woman on the other side of the line asking. "Yeah, this is her speaking" I replied. "We're calling you from the hospital to inform you about your brother, Logan Clark" the lady said. "Wait what?" I asked confused. What the hell happened to him? Why were they calling me? "Last night your brother went out with some friends, he was driving and they had an accident, your brother got major injuries, and he lost a lot of blood, by the time the ambulance got here with him, he was dead" she said. "WHAT?" I yelled . Jay looked at me in concern. I was almost in tears. I put down my phone and just stood there silently. "soph? What was that?" Jay asked me, but I couldn't answer. I tried to find the words, i was trying to speak, but nothing was coming out of my mouth.

"Sophie, babe, what happened?" He asked me again. Tears running down my cheeks. "Soph!" He said and wrapped his arms around me. He shook me a bit but I just kept a blank look. I was still in shock. "Sophie, please talk to me" he begged. "He..." I managed to whisper. "What?" He asked me. "He" I said once again. "Sophie please tell me" he said. "He died!" I yelled before bursting into tears. He just wrapped his arms around me tightly. I sobbed on his chest. My little brother was dead. Logan died. "Come on" Jay whispered in my ear and laid me down on the bed. He went and got to the other side of the bed and laid down next to me. He wrapped his arms around me once again. I kept crying. He was rubbing my back and hugging me tightly.

Jay started humming a familiar tune. I'm pretty sure it was one of their songs. After some minutes I felt my eyelids getting heavier, so I closed my eyes and soon enough fell asleep.

FLASHBACK

It was dark. I had just gotten home from the academy. "Mom? Logan?" I asked walking into the dark living room. I turned the switch on and my jaw just dropped. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIE!" Mom and Logan yelled. They had a cake on the table and some presents they'd gotten me. "What's this? " I asked. "We wanted to do something nice for you, so go up and take a shower and come downstairs to eat the dinner I made just for you" she said smiling and I nodded before hugging both of them and giving my mom a sweet kiss on the cheek and messing Logan's hair. I went upstairs to my room and got ready. I put a casual dress and let my hair loose on my back. I went back downstairs and to the dining room. "You liar! You told me you were going out today!" I yelled at Jay who was standing there with a huge grin on his face and a present. I ran towards him and hugged him tightly. He was my only friend by that time. "Technically, I didn't lie, i told you i was going out, I'm out now" he said and winked at me. We sat at the table and started eating. My mom made my fave food.

After we finished eating we went to the living room and chatted a bit. "Ok, it's time for the presents!" My mom said excited. I nodded and they gave me their presents. First was Logan's. i opened it and saw a beautiful summer dress. "Oh my God! Thanks Lo!" I said and hugged him. "Glad you liked it" he said. Then was Jay's. I opened it and it was a bracelet. "I have something like it too" he said showing me his keys, where the bracelet was hanging. "It's like a friendship bracelet" he said rubbing the back of his neck. "i love it Jay, thanks" I said and kissed his cheek. "ok! My turn! " my mom yelled. I chuckled and opened hers. "OH MY GOD MOM!" I yelled as soon as I saw a beautiful necklace. It had a 'S' and a heart decorated with little diamonds hanging. "mom, this is beautiful" I said almost in tears. "The best for the best daughter in the world" she said and kissed my cheek.

END OF FLASHBACK

I woke up crying. That was the best day in my life. It may not seem like something too awesome, but to me it was. I went to the bathroom and looked myself in the mirror. I looked awful. My eyes were all red and puffy. And that's when I saw it. My necklace. I held it and rubbed it remembering my family. They were gone. First my mom, and now my brother. I collapsed on the floor and just let all the tears flow down my cheeks. What did I do to deserve all this?

Jay's POV

I patted the spot next to me, and when I didn't feel anything there, I opened my eyes and it was empty. Fuck. "Sophie?" I asked but nothing. I got out of the bed and knock on the bathroom door. "Sophie are you there?" I asked. I put my ear on the door to hear closely. I heard sobs. Sophie. I opened the door and saw her on the floor, with her knees up and her chin resting on them. I sat next her and wrapped my arms around her bringing her closer to me. "Shh, everything will be fine, I'll always be here by your side, you're not alone" I said. She kept sobbing. It just broke me seeing her like this. I felt tears running down my cheeks too.

'Cry your tears on my shoulders... You don't know what the future holds so I'll be your personal soldier' I sang almost in a whisper to her. She looked up. Her green eyes were darker. Her hair was all over her face. I tucked some strands of hair behind her ears and kissed her forehead. "Why does God hate me Jay?" She asked and I frowned. "Babe, he doesn't hate you" I said cupping her cheeks with my hands. "Then why does he keep taking all the people I love?" She asked. More tears streaming down her face. I didn't know what to say, so I just kissed her lightly on the lips.

"I'm gonna book a flight for tomorrow ok?" I said. "What?" She asked confused. "We're leaving to London tomorrow" I said. "jay you still have an interview left" she said and I shook my head. "I'll talk to Nano and Kev ok? I won't leave you alone like this" I said and she smiled weakly and gave me a peck on the lips. "Now come on, you need some rest" I said and she nodded. I picked her up bridal style and laid her down on the bed. We fell asleep right away.

The next morning I got out of bed and went to take a shower. When I got out Sophie was still sleeping. I out some clothes on and went to Nano's room. I knocked on his door and he opened it seconds later. "Do you need something?" He asked me and I nodded. He let me walk into the room and I sat on a couch. "So?" He asked. "I have to go to London today" i said and he frowned. "What? We'll be leaving tomorrow" he said. "Yeah, i know, but Sophie needs me by her side, yesterday she got a call, her brother died, she doesn't have anyone else, she needs me" I said. "Jay we still have an interview to go to" he said and I nodded. "I know, but I just don't wanna leave her like that, please" I begged and he sighed. "Alright, only because it's for Sophie, and it's just an interview" he said. "Thanks Nano" i said. "Take care of her" he said. "Always" i said smiling and walked out of the room.

I walked back into our room and she was still asleep. I felt my phone buzzing. "Hello?" I picked it up. "I booked two tickets, you're leaving at 3" Nano said, "well, that was fast" I said and he chuckled. "I want you here in an hour so we can talk to the others" he said and I said yes.

I shook Sophie lightly and she opened her eyes slowly. "Hey" i said. "Hi" she smiled weakly. "We're leaving at 3, i just talked to Nano and he booked us a flight" i said and she nodded. "Are you sure it'll be fine?" She asked and I nodded. "You need me" I said. "Come on, we should start packing and then we'll get breakfast, after that we're going to meet at Nano's room to tell the others we're leaving ok?" I said and she nodded before getting out of the bed. She went to take a shower.

After we got ready and had breakfast, we went to Nano's room. "So, why are we here?" Tom asked. "Jay and Sophie have to leave today, so he won't be at the interview with you" Nano said and they all looked straight to us. "Why?" Nathan asked. "My... M-my brother died" Sophie said. I held her hand tight and she turned her gaze to me. "Oh Sophie" Nathan walked towards her and hugged her. Soon enough all the boys gave her a group hug. She chuckled. "Boys, i can't breathe" she said. And they all stepped backwards so she was free. "Sorry" Max said. "It's ok" she shrugged.

After we left Nano's room, it was already time to get some lunch and then we were going to the airport. We said goodbye to the boys and the girls. We got something to eat and then we took a cab to the airport. When we got into the plane, Sophie sat next to the window. She stood there watching out of the window. "Soph?" I called her. She turned her gaze to me. She had a sad look, meaning she was thinking about her family. I kissed her lips gently. "I love you" I said after we pulled apart, our foreheads still together. She smiled. "I love you too" she said before resting her head on my shoulder. "Thanks for being next to me"she said. "No need to thank me, I told you I was gonna be by your side every time you needed me" I said and wrapped my arm around her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: HI THERE! Hope you're enjoying my fanfic so far! I love you, J ;) xx