CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

I sit on the floor cross-legged with my back leaning against the bed, eating the pancakes with my hands. He sits on the bed above me, watching me eat.

"It needs more maple syrup," I say between bites.
He laughs slightly. "I'll remember that for next time."
Once I finish eating, I slide the plate towards the door. He slides off the bed and sits down on the floor adjacent to me. I lean my head back against the side of the bed. I sense him turn his head and face me, eyes burning into mine. "This is crazy." I say.
"I know."
I turn to face him. "So you seriously don't kiss all the girls your dad brings home?" I joke.
"Stop saying that," he laughs. "You're not like the others."
"What makes me so special again?"
"I don't know. I haven't quite figured it out yet. But I'll be sure to tell you once I do."
I grin, enjoying the light hearted conversation between us. "I don't think it's necessarily you that's different." He says. "It's me – well, my feelings towards you."
"Oh."
"They're... different. I don't know how to explain it. Just different."
I nod and it's quiet for a moment. "How many?" I ask.
"How many what?"
"Others, have there been?"
He glances around the room, biting his lip slightly. He's thinking. "Maybe... sixteen. Or twenty. I'm not really sure." he fades off. This number surprises me. I'm not entirely sure why. Did I somehow think that Dane was new at this? Or maybe I just thought he hadn't taken that many girls before. But I was wrong, as usual. I always seem to be wrong. "I guess it all started when I was thirteen. Just a year after my mother's passing. He was angry – all the time. He quit his job and would get drunk around the house, doing nothing all day. It became a routine. And then one day, he brought her home. Her name was Lauren. She was only fifteen. I remember her eyes. How dark brown they were. How scared they were." He pauses and I can tell this is difficult for him to talk about. "It was weird for me. I was so young. I knew right from wrong and I knew what he did – taking that poor girl – was wrong. But I also didn't really know much else. Like I said, I'd been home schooled, didn't have much friends or contact with people. I didn't know how that stuff worked. And I know that sounds bad, but it's the truth. I knew it was wrong. I just didn't stop it."
I stare at him for a long time as he spills his heart to me. I reach out and put my hand over his to let him know that it's okay. He continues. "He killed her." He says. "Lauren. He let her run through the woods – like a game of cat and mouse. And then he shot her, just like that. He killed her. And all I knew really was that the girl in my basement was gone. I don't think I quite comprehended that she was never coming back."
"I'm so sorry," I say, because I can't think of anything else that could possibly help.
He half smiles, reassuring me that he's okay. "And I thought that was it; that it was over. That he was just stressed and upset and missing my mum. And I thought there wouldn't be any others. But there was. A girl named Stasia. She had blonde hair and blue eyes; like you. He liked her. He spent a lot of time with her. But then he killed her as well." My stomach lurches and my heart aches. Will I be next on the list of dead girls Avery speaks of? "It became a routine I guess." he says. "Finding girls, adoring them, keeping them. Sometimes he'd ask me to help him. Sometimes I would. We would lour them together; 'father and son bonding' he called it. I knew it was wrong, but I felt trapped. I didn't have anyone else. We were all alone. I had no one to turn to. So I obeyed and played my part. I am responsible for all of their deaths." He looks down, fiddling with his fingers. He takes a deep breath, then continues. "He would keep them for about four months. I think that's the average time. Then he'd get bored and want another. And another, and another. And here we are."
I stare at him sideways. "That's fucked up." is all I manage to say. He nods.

We sit in silence for a long time. My hand rests on his and he leans his head on my shoulder. I close my eyes and listen to the sound of our breathing become synchronized. "I think you're his favourite so far." He finally says, breaking the silence.
"What?" I sit up straight and look at him.
"Out of all the girls he's brought home, you are the one he treasures the most. You, Reign O'Connor. He loves you, I'm pretty sure. You're different; special."
The thought of Dane admiring me over other girls makes my stomach lurch. "Why? Because I remind him of his dead daughter?"
"I don't know... I guess."
"That's just..." I don't know what to say. I feel my throat tighten and the tears welling in my eyes. He leans in holds me until the tears slow. "I'm so stupid. This is all my fault." I say.
"What? How is any of this your fault?"
"If only I hadn't stopped to help him find his stupid dog that day..." I choke back the tears, trying to stop them from coming.
"Is that what you think?"
I nod my head and sniffle. "My kindness is my weakness."
He shakes his head and laughs slightly. "Reign... My father is a very particular man. He doesn't just go out on the streets and grab anybody. If he wants someone, he chooses them. He calls it hunting season." He says, and it sends chills down my spine. "He goes out and scouts cities, neighborhoods. He takes notes, finds out where they live, what they do, who they communicate with." Is what he's saying true? I think I'm going to be sick. All this time I thought it was my fault; my fault for being stupid and nice. Allowing my kindness to be my weakness. I thought that if I had only taken a different route home, or maybe even just opted out of grocery shopping that day, that I would be fine – safe. At home, in my bed with Colby. But no. It turns out that he chose me. He wanted me. Reign O'Connor. I was hand selected by the Devil himself. I stand up, trying to steady myself.
"Reign," he stands up beside me and holds onto my arms. I bring my hand to my mouth, thinking I just may throw up. "Are you okay? Do you want some water?" he asks.
I nod my head. He runs out of the room and appears back a moment later with a plastic cup of water. I gulp it down in seconds. He walks me backwards and sits me on the bed. "Are you alright?" he asks. I nod my head. I can't speak right now. "You sure?"
"Yes," I give him a small but weak smile.
"Okay," he says, then glances down at his watch. "Shit. I better go."
I feel my heart sink in my chest. Just when I thought we were getting somewhere. "What? Why?"
"I've been here far too long."
"So?"
"Like I said before Reign, we can't do this."
"But..."
"I'm sorry." He stands up.
"Will you come back?" I ask.
He stares at me and flashes a small smile. "Don't I always?" Then he leaves.