CHAPTER NINE

Today's morning replicates yesterdays. Dane comes down with breakfast and guilt trips me into more conversation about my life. I don't want to give him the satisfaction of hearing the details of my past, but I also understand that I don't have much of a choice. I ramble on and talk for what feels like hours. He sits there silently as he listens to me speak, intrigued by my words. I wonder what he's thinking. Does he get off on this? Listening to teenage girls talk about their life? He is one twisted human being. Once Dane decides that our morning conversation is finished – I've come to understand that everything that happens is decided by Dane – he takes my empty dishes and departs once again.

I sit on the bed with my back propped up against the wall, staring at the opposing wall for a long time. In the short period of time that I've been here, I've learned to appreciate the company of my own thoughts. It gets lonely in this room, lonelier than words can describe, and the only thing I really have is myself. I think to myself; talk to myself; keep myself company. What else is there to do? I mostly spend my time thinking about Colby and how much I miss him. I wish we were together right now so I could curl up in his arms and feel safe again. I think about my father and wonder if he's drank himself to death yet. Has the news of my disappearance gotten the best of him? Would the loss of his wife and his daughter be enough to put him over the edge? I truly hope not. I hope he's okay. I need to see him again. To tell him that everything is alright. To be there for him and make sure that he is strong. I hate not knowing anything. I wish I could see the people I love and let them know that I'm alright. Because I know I'm alright, but they don't. And that thought alone is probably killing them. Only if there was a way to get to them...

I wait around all day praying that Avery will be the next visitor that comes to my room. My wish finally comes true when I hear a gentle knock on the door, and Avery's face appears.

"Hello," I smile.

"Hi." he says as he closes the door behind him.

"How are you?" I ask.

"Fine. How are you?"

"Good,"

"Dane says to wear the pink dress for Sunday Dinner tonight."

"Sunday already," I say to myself. He raises an eyebrow. "It's been two weeks now." I say.

"Yeah," he fades off, gazing around the small room.

"Avery," I say. He looks up and meets my eyes. "Come sit," I motion to the bed. He's hesitant, but he walks over and sits at the edge. "I need to talk to you." I say.

"No." he cuts me off. "I already know what you're going to say."

"Please, let me finish,"

"Reign, no." he stands up.

"Avery, please just listen to me!" I cry out.

"You need to stop this. Stop asking me for favours you know I can't do."

"And why is it that can't you do them?"

"You know why."

"No, I really don't,"

"I can't betray my father. I don't know what you expect me to do. Call the police and rat him out? I can't do that."

"No, I'm not asking you to do that all Avery," I pause. "Just... when he goes to work tomorrow... Unlock my cuffs. Leave the door unlocked. And you won't even have to know what happens. Just stay upstairs and out of the way. You can say I picked the lock or som–"

"No."

"Why not!?"

"Because."

"Because why!?" I yell.