Chapter 23- Welcome Home

Not a phone call

Not a phone call. Not an email. Not even a stupid text message. I haven't heard from Austin, Luna or Ross in a long time. The time without them was really uneventful for the most part. Nothing was happening with Emily she was still unconscious. Sometimes I would see Val leaving her hospital room whenever I came but nothing more. Alidia has been extremely quiet since I left that hospital room long ago.

I didn't spend my nights crying over my decision even though I did regret it. I spent my time studying, letting it be my only outlet. Speaking of which I was driving to school now. The large buildings were getting bigger and bigger by each mile. My second college year was almost over and I was glad. Kash decided he wanted to move out of Miami for college so I truly only these past two years.

It has been four years since I left that hospital room and not a peep from Austin. I'm still waiting and for what. If he wanted to see me he easily could. I lived in the same two story house, I drive the same car, besides losing a few pounds and gaining an inch or two I looked the same. Why couldn't he bring his pasty butt over here. Multiple times I was tempted to drive to the pack house but I didn't know what I would see when I got there. Even though we are mates the thought still lingered in my mind. Did he move on?

I pulled up to the parking lot and jogged to my class that I was almost late for. I got in just in time for me to be able to set up my laptop for note taking. I was majoring in Literature and minoring in Sociology.

"Good morning class." My Sociology teacher said walking back in forth in front of the huge class.

You could hear the whole class respond in unison. I pressed record on my phone so if I missed something in my notes I could go back and listen to it. The teacher continued on with the lesson of why we stereotype. After class I packed up but when I went to the door I was stopped by a tall frame.

"Zoe right?" he asked.

I'll give it to him the guy was cute. He was on the slender side barely any muscle but his brown eyes held so much joy in them. His black hair laid nicely and his eyelashes short. His smile left little dimples in his cheek.

"Yes and you are?" I asked holding my laptop in one hand while holding out the other

"It's Shaun. I was wondering if you would like to hang out." He asked putting his hands in his jean pockets.

"Depends Shaun, is this a date or do you truly want to hang out?" I said smiling.

I didn't have many friends, actually I didn't have any friends so I could totally work with this.

"Just hanging out, you seem pretty cool. Plus, I have a girlfriend."

I stood there tapping my chin as if I was thinking even though I already knew the answer.

"Next class I'll take you to my place. Hope you like movies." I said before running off almost tripping over my feet.

*

*

*

"Okay so what movie are we thinking Z?" Shaun asked me walking to my car.

Shaun and I have been having little movie nights every weekend since he asked me. Our movies ranged from Marvel to Rom-Com. We treated every night as if we were fellow movie critics making nitpicks at everything from acting to pacing. It was fun. It was distracting and I could always use a distraction. Either after or before a movie Shaun and I would always study for an upcoming quiz because we get one so often.

"I'm thinking The Winter Soldier. I could use something both heart breaking and action packed." I said putting our things in my car trunk. I could see that wooden box I got for my 16th birthday that I never got around to opening. I closed the trunk and went to sit down in driver's seat. Shaun opened the passenger door sitting in the seat. I started turning my body so I could see behind me to back out of the parking space when I saw a figure in the distance. My foot aggressively pressed down on the brakes.

"Zoe?" Shaun said placing his hand on my shoulder.

I struggled to take off my seatbelt but eventually got it off. I pushed the door open, got out the car and stood behind it. The figure didn't disappear; I wasn't seeing things. His brown hair looked exactly the same. His eyes –unlike last time I saw him--were lively and bright. He wore a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans. His hands were carelessly in his pockets and it looked like he was biting the inside of his cheek. He was nervous.

Hell he should be because after I kiss him, I'm going to rip him, not one but two new ones. I was both excited and angry. I had a feeling he knew that. I walked around my car and he still stood there still. His movements showed he was barely breathing maybe even holding his breath.

"Is that the guy?" Shaun asked getting out the car. All I could do is shake my head yes. My hands were shaking; scratch that my whole body was shaking. I tried to slow down my breathing but that didn't help. "Do you want me to go with you Z?" Shaun asked. I shook my head no and walked towards the figure.

I looked him right in the eyes still being considerably shorter than him. I was angry, frustrated, happy , excited, sick. Every possible feeling in this situation was running it's course switching every second. He slowly pulled his hands out of his front pockets. He held on to my face wipeing a tear I didn't know was there.

"I'm sorry." He whispered looking deep into my eyes for something. I grabbed his white tee and pulled my shirt upwards. I didn't forgive him but I needed this; I needed him. He leaned down so we were closer. Our quivering lips were extremely close, painfully close.

"Austin?" I said.

"Mm."

"This doesn't mean I've forgiven you yet; I just-"I breathed out.

"I know but just kiss me already." He smirked.

I pulled him down quickly and kissed his lips. It was just like are last kiss. Helpless, slow and needy. I wrapped my arms around his neck pulling him down. He wrapped his arms around my hips pulling me up. I pulled away and went back to flat on my feet. I quickly let him go and took a step back running into Shaun.

  Shaun side stepped and held his hand out towards Austin

"You must be Austin. I'm Zoe's friend Shaun, I've heard a lot." He wore his brightest smile.