Being Hunted By the Past #2

The time is between B1CH15 – Bato of the Water Tribe and B1CH18 – The WaterBending Master

"One day, I'll sleep on the deck while watching the stars." Shinju said, wind was playing with her curls. It was the music night and they were on the deck, including Zuko. It was surprising that he had come, too.

"And you'll wake up as the sun rises." Zuko said. He was standing next to her. They both leaned the railings and were watching the stars.

"Umm... A second thought I decided that I won't do that. I'll lie on the deck and watch the stars, then I'll go back to my room for a good sleep." Shinju said.

"Now that was a very wise idea, Shinju." Iroh said. She smiled at him. There was a silence moment but it was broken by Shinju. She turned her back to the others, facing the ocean, and started to sing by herself.

Please wrap your drunken arms around me
And I'll let you call me yours tonight
'Cause slightly broken's just what I need
And if you give me what I want
Then I'll give you what you like

Please tell me I'm your one and only
Or lie, and say at least tonight
I've got a brand new cure for lonely
And if you give me what I want
Then I'll give you what you like

She stopped when she felt everyone's gaze on her. She turned to them "What is it? Why are you all looking at me?"

"It's just... It has been a great while hearing someone singing except Uncle." Zuko responded "By the way, your voice sounds really good."

Shinju turned her eyes away, she was slightly blushed "Thanks."

One of the guards poked his friend, told him something. His friend nodded and they both started to play a melody that was played in the Fire Nation parties while the partners danced. It was a slow one. Iroh understood what they were trying to do and nodded at them. Then, he walked towards Zuko and Shinju "Wouldn't it be nice if we had a dancing couple?" he said to them.

They both looked at Iroh wide eyed "What? Us?" they said at the same time.

Iroh smiled warmly "Well, if you don't expect me to dance with myself, yes, you."

Shinju started to play with her nails "I don't know if it is a good idea. I can't dance." she said.

Iroh pushed her towards Zuko "Nor can Zuko." he said as he went back to the guards.

Shinju looked up at Zuko "Well, it seems like we're going to dance."

"Just don't mention it to anyone." Zuko said as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Don't worry, I won't." Shinju said as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Even though she was wearing heeled boots, he was still a little bit taller than her. They looked into their eyes as they swayed around the deck. They even weren't hearing the music, it was just Zuko and Shinju. Or, they felt like it was only them.

And they both were feeling a spark inside themselves that was growing every second they were together. That spark was making Zuko feel guilty, but Shinju was feeling confused. Very, very confused.

A few seconds later, they stopped swaying and stepped back. Iroh applauded them as they both looked at different directions "Wonderful! That was the best music night we have ever had on that ship." he said "And unfortunately, it is over."

Guards got inside as they yawned. Iroh wished them good night and he went to his quarters. It was only Zuko and Shinju left. Shinju sat on the deck, closing her eyes. A few moments later, Zuko sat next to her "It sounds so ironic but I started to like you, I mean as a friend." Shinju said "Before June came, we were arguing all the time."