Chapter 17: The Beginning of the End

"The Beginning of the End"

Gaius had been summoned to take a seat in the office chamber. It was a small annex nestled on the top floor of the Grand Basilica away from the public legal transactions that took place on the ground floor. Waiting for him was Acropolus and Apollus who shared a bench. Gaius entered the oval room with a half-smile only to be greeted by silence. He took his seat quietly on the bench facing the two dignitaries. The King was the first to break the silence.

"There was a time I could trust you," the King began in a calm voice. "That I could count on you as one of my loyal officials but somewhere Gaius I believe your motives became treacherous."

Gaius folded his hands over his lap, his lips pursed. "So you listened to your son to make the judgment?"

"No," the King countered with an edge to his voice. "I make the final judgments but I cannot ignore the simple fact that you always mysteriously have connections to so many vile things. Look Gaius, the letters you forged," he exclaimed holding up the parchment to his face. "They look very similar to your handwriting. Does this letter saying Barbarius is 'lost at sea,' look familiar?" he questioned.

Gaius shrugged. "So are you going to put me on your scary blacklist?

The King's expression darkened. "Worse."

"You know I helped you compose it. So how does that look? Seems awfully satirical!" A bitter laugh escaped his throat. "You would rather believe this irrational fear of your son than your own official? Sounds awfully weak even for you." He balled the parchment in his hands. Apollus looked at the parchment clasped tight in his father's trembling fist. Fresh blood colored the King's cheeks a cherry red.

Acropolus then turned to his son. He struggled to keep his voice steady. "I think you better leave now," he muttered. Without question Apollus sprung from his seat and left the room.

His dark eyes narrowed back on Gaius. "Depart from my face and do not come back. Ever! When you leave here your belongings will be confiscated and will become the sole property of the King. You have no place on the council. Not even your home!" he said through clenched teeth.

"I knew you wanted my belongings. You want everything. This insatiable hunger for power and greed consumes you," Gaius retorted. "The truth is you need me Acropolus."

"I have no need for you. Truth is I do not even know you anymore. Darkness has consumed you and I refused to accept that till last night. But you have pushed me to no other choice." He rose from the bench. "You know what you did at the dinner party and if it was not for my son I would be dead!" he snapped, pointing a finger in his face. "Guards escort him out now!" he shouted. The sound of boots shuffled along the tiled floor. Just as Gaius sprang from the bench two guards materialized on either side of him.

Acropolus cleared his throat before continuing in a controlled tone. "I am not going to let you hurt anyone else including me. You will be sentenced to the Hole until your execution. Your son will follow suit." Coldness replaced the anger that once laced his words.

"This is not the end of me, Acropolus. I did more than slip poison in the drinks. I guarantee you that someone you love will die!" he snarled as the guards escorted him out the room.

The King pointed to the guard to the right. "Muzzle this man from making any more threats!"

"It is not a threat it is a promi—"

*****

Gray clouds blocked the sun above, casting shadows over the atrium. Anias' speckled hands rolled up the scrolls that contained countless hours of my instruction. I looked up at the sky through the opening in the ceiling before saying, "Do you think a storm is coming? We have not seen much rain come through in the past weeks, let alone month."