Prologue

August 20th 2012

Lindsey looked down at the floor, focusing in on his hands. He fiddled with the thing that was causing all the fuss; his wedding band. He was trying to look just about anywhere but the angry face of his wife. Kristen stood in front of him, casting a gloomy shadow over him, encasing his hunched frame into darkness. Lindsey could hear their three children – Will, LeeLee and Stella – playing together outside. The sound of their carefree joy ripped Lindsey’s heart to shreds now that he had done what he had done. But it wasn’t his fault, not really. After all, it was in the name of love. “Lindsey Buckingham, are you even listening to me?” Kristen screeched, sounding more and more like a deranged maniac rather than his cooler than cool wife. But this time, she had the right to be a maniac: she had just found out that her husband was having an affair. Again. With the same woman. But she wasn’t just any woman. “Yes, Kit.” Lindsey replied quietly. Kristen scoffed. “The one time you actually listen to me! In this of all conversations! Well, it took a hell of a lot to make you listen to me, Lindsey. But here we are!” Lindsey kept his eyes glued to the floor. “Lindsey Buckingham, look at me God damn it!” Kristen screamed. Lindsey looked up in shock. Kristen sighed, covering her tired face with her hands. “Kit…” Lindsey began. “No. No, don’t you ‘Kit’ me.” “Kristen, please?” Lindsey stood up and started walking towards his wife. “No! No, Lindsey! No, okay? This is the final straw! I’m done! It’s over!”