Chapter 34

That night, I can't get to sleep. Questions buzz around my head like bees, so in the end I slip out of my tent and sit by the fire. The flames seem to make pictures and I stare at them contently. Someone's tent unzips behind me and Juliet slides next to me.

"It's nice."

"What?" I ask, confused.

"You and Daisy. The fact that you're like sisters. She reminds me of my sister. She is probably at home, wondering how I'm doing."

"Does she know you're in the games?"

"Yeah. Max came up to our house and invited me and my brother to the games. My brother declined, but I agreed. Well, not really agreed, more jumped at the chance." She gives me a sad smile.

"Hey, why don't we see whether we can figure out your necklaces powers?"

She nods.

"Ok, maybe it could be...."

"Wind?"

"Yeah, try that. Imagine the wind blowing across the lake strongly."

She closes her eyes and not even the slightest breeze blows across the lake.

"Ok,so it's not that. How about...."

"Flying?"

"Maybe."

She closes her eyes once more but doesn't move an inch.

"Ok, so not that either, how about..."

"This is ridiculous." She cries agitated. Her necklace glows green.

"Wait, do that again."

"What, say 'this is ridiculous'?" She raises her eyebrows at me. It happens again.

I look about us and gasp. Next to the tents, where there had once been a patch of weeds, now sat a patch of flowering yellow daisy's.

"Plants. Of course. Water, fire and Earth."

"You mean I can control... Plants?"

"Yeah. It's obvious now. My necklace was blue, I control water. Tyan's is red, he controls fire and leviathan, yours is green, you control plants and healing."

"Wait, wouldn't that mean yours has to have some sort of extra power, like mine was healing?"

"I guess so. Now, try this out, if we're right, this will work. Look at..." I scan around us and spot a small sapling a little way off. "Imagine that growing. You shouldn't have to close your eyes."

She looks over at the sapling and her necklace glows. It glows slightly and starts to weave its way up, growing branches and leaves. Soon enough, it's a full grown tree.

"Now, try this. Imagine it growing apples."

"But it isn't an apple tree?"

"Just try it."

She looks back at it and soon enough, bright red apples start to spur from the branches.

"Cool!" Juliet exclaims.

In the water next to it, I grow myself a tree. Juliet laughs and we twine our branches together.

"I want to try something." She looks over to a small flower and it grows, higher and higher. It then starts twisting and making a pattern.

It stops and I look at it closely. Then I see it. The stem of the flower has twisted round multiple times as petals and the actual flower is in the centre, making a flower. A flower out of a flower.