Chapter 25

I barely sleep for 1/2 an hour before I wake to the sound of the Capitol anthem. So max decided to stay with the classics. I sit up and wriggle like a caterpillar to the mouth of the cave with Bonnie.

The Capitol seal shows and then fades and is replaced by the face of the boy from 3. Then it move onto the girl from 7 and then both the district 9 tributes. Then it shows the career killed tributes, the boy from 6, the boy from 7, both from 8 and the girl from 10. The next face makes my chest pump and my heart beat. Harriet's smile etches into my mind like a knife and when I go back in, and lie down, I can't get to sleep. I toss and turn and eventually get up again and tell Bonnie I'll take over watch shift.

I sit at the mouth of the cave with a dagger in my hand and stare up at the stars. They still shine through clear and they look almost the same as the ones back home. The cool metal of the dagger feels strange in my hand and I feel like putting it down. I place it on the floor beside me and suddenly realize I am starving. I look back at Bonnie but she is fast asleep so I don't wake her to ask. I grab some cheese and munch on it while is sit. The whole in my stomach isn't filled but at least it's something.

I sit there for a while looking at the stars and then suddenly I smell smoke. The game makers wouldn't start a fire this early after the bloodbath, would they?

Then I realize its not a game makers fire but simply a tribute, a way aways, who is cooking some dinner.

How stupid. They were going to get themselves killed just sitting there waiting for the careers to come and get them.

Sure enough, after a few minutes, the shouting and laughing of the careers reaches my ears. I watch as the person scrambles away from the fire, panicked. The person heads towards our cave with a limp and I think about sliding back in an leaving them out there but my heart gets the better of me. As they get closer I whisper at them. They spot me in the dark an I gesture for them to come in. The quickly do so and just in time because the careers have reached their fire. They shout angrily and someone orders to scout the area.

They do so and Georgiana comes awfully close to our cave but doesn't spot it. We shrink into the shadows and in the end, they stop looking.

"They must have left before we even came." I hear the boy from district 4 say.

Juliet gives out an ear piercing scream and the next second, a cannon go's off.

"Juliet, why did you...." Soren's voice trails off.

"I needed to kill someone, and he was annoying me." She replies and they start hiking back to their camp.

I let out my breath and turn and look at the tribute I saved. It's a girl with brown or black hair down her back and dusty hazel eyes, but I can't see any of her other features in the dark. I think it's the girl from 3 but I can't be sure. She studies me and let's out a sigh.

"I didn't want to alliance. It's just harder when they get killed."

I smile.

"I don't plan on getting killed anytime soon. What's your name?"

"Zara. And you're Primrose. Who are they?" She says, gesturing to the others.

"That's Bonnie and the little ones Daisy. The boy's called Percy and just survived Ditty, although they'll be looking for him now they know he's alive."

Suddenly, Daisy stirs. She starts gasping for air and tossing and turning in her sleep. Then she starts saying things, and crying.. I think I catch the name Rue and mum and I even think I catch Primrose. A nightmare. I go over to her and wake her. Tears stream down he face.