Chapter 33

Damian's POV

I opened my eyes to find myself lying in bed, still in my Robin uniform, I looked over towards the clock by my bed, it read 03:37, I've only had three hours of sleep and now my body decides to wake up. I groaned at the thought. At least I've still got a few more hours of sleep until I need to wake up again. Beside the clock was (Y/N)'s mask, she must have left it here, the thought of her made me smile and reminded me of what had happened the previous night. I rolled over expecting my beloved (Y/N) to be sleeping there peacefully, however, the space beside me was completely empty, the sheets were still perfectly made, she never came to bed here in the first place. She must have just wanted to go back home, I did kind of force her to come back with me. The sudden rush of guilt overcame me, I really need to apologise. I picked up my phone to call her, as the screen lit up I again saw the time, she wouldn't be awake at this time, I don't want the noise of the text coming through to wake her, I'll just wait until I see her in school later today. The good thing is I won't have to explain to Pennyworth why we both snuck into my bedroom past midnight and she had to stay the night, he would obviously have found out by morning. That would have meant that father would have been notified and I would have another pointless lecture in his office and that would mean Grayson, Todd and Drake would find out and irritate me for all eternity. Before I knew it my trails of thoughts had led me straight back to sleep again and I was awoken again. However this time I suddenly jolted upright into a sitting position and I was covered in sweat and my breathing was much heavier than usual.

Another nightmare. Thank god it was just a dream. I never want to live that moment. I took a sigh of relief and got out of bed, I didn't want to go back to sleep now, I couldn't. The time was 06:28, I didn't have to leave the house for another hour so I decided to work away the memory of the dream by doing some exercises on the bedroom floor. After an hour there was a knock on my door,

"Master Damian, your breakfast is ready for you in the kitchen."

"I will be down in approximately 10 minutes," I answered to Pennyworth, I had got lost in my thoughts and didn't notice that I had been training for an hour. (Y/N) was right, I really did need some more sleep I felt like a zombie. But ever since the nightmares started, I've not been able to sleep, my body is engulfed in fear and worry. They feel so real, every night. That's the real reason I don't sleep, why I want my love with me when I go to bed. Whenever she's there the nightmares don't come, but I could never tell her about them. I just don't want my beloved to worry about me like she always does, I find it adorable, if I ever called her that to her face she would kick my ass. At least I know there's one person in this world who cares about me.

I got changed into my Gotham Academy uniform and gelled back my hair, or at least tried to. There are not many things I can't do but styling my hair is definitely one of them. Nonetheless, I still do it because a  few months ago (Y/N) once said she liked it like that, also because I need to narrow the list of things I can't do, to nothing. Normally I would have father or Grayson do it for me as his hair used to defy gravity when he was Robin.

As I looked at myself in the mirror I noticed something very odd. What was happening? There was definitely something wrong with my face. I was smiling. This was a very unfamiliar look on my face and I had to stop it immediately. Thankfully I looked normal again as I went back to my normal expression. I can't let that smiling thing ever happen again, especially not in public!

I went downstairs to the kitchen where Pennyworth was pouring a glass of orange juice and I started on my breakfast. As I did so Pennyworth fixed my hair and actually did a decent job of it. He was telling me one of his stories about something but I wasn't listening. All that was on my mind at that moment was (Y/N), what was I going to say to her? I just forced her to come back with me and stay the night, I sound like such a creep. I just hope she forgives me.

I finished my breakfast and got in my car to drive to school. I arrived shortly and I suddenly became a little nervous about seeing (Y/N) again. What if she really does think I'm a creep?

I shook off that thought, I must be overthinking things, I know she's better than that and she wouldn't have come back if she didn't want to, she doesn't put up with any shit that comes her way. That's another thing that I love about her, on top of many, many things, the way she's not afraid to speak her mind and she hates to play the clichéd damsel in distress, she would kick the ass of anyone if she needed to, I love how she's strong like that.

"Are you ok Damian?"

I snapped back to reality and realised that the smiling thing was happening again. So I quickly frowned at Wilkes who had approached me at my locker.

"I am well," I replied stoically and rushed to class before he could press any further questions.