Chapter 24

You stood there, completely paralysed, you had never felt so terrified in your life. You had uncontrollable hot, salty tears pouring out of your eyes and down your face.

"I need to get out of here," you thought to yourself and you plucked up the courage to walk out the front door, you were still shaking though.

You had nowhere to turn to, the streets were still empty and none of the street light worked, it was pitch black. You weren't afraid of the dark anymore, you felt completely numb, everything you ever cared about was gone.

The mysterious voices were getting louder, they were calling your name now,

"(Y/N), please come back to us!"

You carried on walking through the dark streets, you didn't know where you were going you just wanted to get as far away as possible from the house of horrors. You looked back, but the building was gone. All that surrounded you was the colour black.

You turned back around to the direction you were heading but now you could see a small white light a few blocks away from where you were standing.

You quickly started walking towards it to investigate. It felt as if it took you hours to reach it but when you did it was no longer and small white light but a huge beaming light.

The voices were screaming at you now and drawing you in, you edged closer to the mysterious light and you were soon surrounded by a blinding white, you had to close your eyes to shield them from losing your sight. There was a lot more noise now, a high steady tone which got louder and louder, the voices were much more audible now and felt much more real.

"She's waking up!"

You slowly opened your eyes to another blinding light. Your head felt different, more focused, you felt like you had more control over yourself. Your eyes were adjusting to your surroundings and you could see clearly now. You felt something warm was tightly grasping your hand, it was calming.

"(Y/N)?" It was the same voice you had heard in your head before. You looked up at where it was coming from; it was Damian's voice.

"D-Damian? W-What's going on?"You stuttered out, you were so confused. You were lying on a hospital bed in the Batcave with all different types of machines attached to you, checking your vital signs. Damian was sat in a chair next to the bed you were in holding your hand tightly, his face was red and puffy from crying.

'Why was he here? He hates me!' you thought to yourself.

"The league managed to get their hands in the Scarecrow's latest fear toxin and by the time I had found a gas mask, you had already passed out. Everything that you saw after that window smashed was all in your head, it wasn't real." It was like he read your mind, he had just answered nearly all the questions that were running through your head.

You suddenly broke into tears, what you had seen was flashing back through your head, the images of your family's dead bodies and the pool of blood that surrounded you in Damian's bathroom reminded you of everything that you saw. Damian pulled you into a tight hug and you wept into his muscular shoulder.

"I'm so sorry (Y/N), this is all my fault. You've been through too much lately because I dragged you into my messed up life. I can't carry on seeing you get hurt like this, sooner or later something much worse will happen, and I won't be able to live without you."

"You can't blame yourself for what happened, you're not the one who held the katana to my neck, you're not the one who gassed the room. You're the one who saved me, you're the reason my heart's still beating now!" You pulled away from the hug and wiped the tears from his cheeks and cupped his face in your hands, looking directly into his glimmering eyes.

"I love you, Damian Wayne."

"I love you so much (Y/N) but I wouldn't have needed to save you if you never met me. It's too dangerous for us to be together. I'm sorry." He held your hands and lowered them from his face. "It's for the best, just while there's an army of assassins trying to kill me and everyone I care about. I need to end this." He got up from where he was sitting at the edge of the bed.

"I can help you, you don't need to do this alone. You can train me, I'm a quick learne-"

"NO!" He snapped at you. "The best way to protect you is to stay away from me; period."

"I don't need protecting, I'll prove it to you! I can take care of myself if that's what it takes to prove to you that being with you won't affect my safety."

"There's a limo waiting for you outside to drive you home."

"It doesn't have to be this way," you quietly whimpered, looking at the ground.

Damian lifted your chin up and kissed your forehead. "I'm truly sorry (Y/N)," and he walked away. You picked up your belongings and made your way towards the driveway, where the limo would be waiting. You were desperate to prove to Damian that you didn't need protecting, you just needed to figure out how.