Conversations

Katniss and the Rebels

Chapter 3: Conversations

AN: Hello I'm back! This is my third chapter and Katniss and Peeta have their first conversation. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Katniss POV

Several people raise their hands to request a change of partner but Ms. Trinket soon shushes them, telling them she is not switching partners for anyone.

I hesitantly glance back to look at my partner again.

Peeta has his eyes trained on the desk and is rubbing circles on the sides of his head like he has a headache.

Though he looks more in deep thought than in pain.

He probably is just tired or is dreading spending time with me even though we have never properly spoken before.

But like I said before, people seem to find me difficult to talk too. I realise that I have been staring at him and turn back to face to front of the room.

As soon as I do that I feel a tap on my shoulder.

I turn around again to see Finnick Odair, Madge's partner and Peeta's best friend. Well I wish Madge all the luck in the world she is going to need it working with Finnick Odair but then again she could have been paired with a Career.

"Hiya Katniss, do you mind if I sit here? Its just there's no other seat beside Madge and Blondie has decided that my seat is now hers so she can flirt with Hunter." Finnick asks kindly which surprises me greatly. I nod and pack my things.

"Yeah sure, sorry I am supposed to move anyway."

"See ya Katniss" they say as Finnick takes my seat and begins flirting with Madge. Finnick Odair doesn't talk to girls he just flirts with them even though he is going out with Annie Cresta.

I walk over to Peeta's table and stand in front of him.

He is still staring down at his desk and hasn't noticed me.

"Erm hi" I say it comes out more of a question than a greeting though.

Peeta looks up, startled at my voice. I stand there awkwardly in front of him while he looks at me like a deer in headlights.

"Hi Katniss." His voice, god his voice and the way he- oh for gods sake Katniss grow up stop acting like some 13 year old townie.

So my name sounds amazing from him so what?

"Miss said that we have to work on the project for the rest of class and...we are partners." I don't want to assume that he was paying attention while Ms. Trinket was speaking wonder if he was paying attention when Ms. Trinket said that so I add in the part about us being partners just in case he didn't hear it.

"Right yes of course we are! Sorry I must have spaced out after she said who the partners were- not because I was upset or didn't want you to be my partner just cause...well I don't know. Well em s-sit down you know if you want to like eh yeah." I smile he is quite cute when he stutters.

This is the first time I have ever heard him stutter. Peeta Mellark is known for his way with words and perfect speech but then again not everything people say is true.

"Thanks you" I say as I take a seat beside him. I love the tables and chairs in the Home Ec. rooms because the tables are high so we get to sit on the high chairs and I am not exactly the tallest person..at all.

Peeta smiles and I say nervously, "So just so you know I can't really bake or cook."

He laughs and asks, "Well have you ever tried?"