Finnick's Brilliant Plan

Katniss and the Rebels

Prologue Part 2

Peeta Mellark POV

My name is Peeta Mellark.

I am 17 years old.

I live in the centre of District Twelve which is a small town in the state of Panem.

I am a baker well you know my father owns a bakery and I work there.

My father has told me that he wants me to take over the business when he retires (no pressure there!)

I have two older brothers, Bran and Rye.

Bran is the eldest and he is going out with his long-term girlfriend, Gwen.

Rye is in college but he doesn't really care about it or anything really. I just try to ignore him most of the time.

I am a senior in high school. I hope to go to college and study business and hopefully art on the side.

I love to paint and I am pretty good at it.

Decorating the cakes, cupcakes, biscuits and things at the bakery has been helpful.

I get paid for it so all the teasing I get for it isn't that bad if I focus on the money bit.

Finnick thinks that it is the 'girlist' thing he can think of but I know he just says it to annoy me.

Finnick Odair is my best friend. He has been since he moved here from District Four when we were 12.

He is funny, a great friend and a complete and utter flirt probably due to his true District Four brown hair and sea green eyes (well that is what I overhear the girls in our school saying anyway its not like I stare into his eyes or anything).

We are also best friends with Thresh and Delly. I hadn't known Thresh until high school but I have known Delly all my life.

My parents don't get along.

My mother is well...a bitch excuse the language but she is.

My father is kind but he can't stand up for himself at all so my mother walks all over him.

Bran, Rye and I all know that it is only a matter of time before one of them files for a divorce.

I'm pretty sure the only reason my dad hasn't filed for one all ready is because they are expensive and mother would take all he has including the business even though she doesn't care about it anyway.

We live in town not in the Seam.

My mother says that people who live there are poor, worthless people who will never amount to anything.

That is one reason why I have never told her that I am in love with a girl from the Seam.

Her name is Katniss Everdeen.

She is amazing.

She has long brown hair, which she all ways ties into a braid, and grey eyes.

She has had a rough life. Her father died when she was 12 years old and from what I know her mother went into depression straight after.

So Katniss had to take care of her little sister, Primrose (Prim) on her own.

I have never properly talked to Katniss and I presume she isn't aware of my existence.

The only time she would have noticed me was when I gave her two loaves of bread a month after her father's death.

She had looked starved and on the brink of death, I had to help her. I have been in love with her since I was five years old. I know there was more I could have done and I should have tried to help her more. But at the time I had no idea what to do. So when I say her out the window, frail and broken I purposely burnt the outside of the bread so the inside was still good for eating. I knew my mother would be furious with me and make me go outside with it and so I did but I gave it to Katniss instead of the pigs