28 // CONFESSIONS WHILE CAPTURED

I banged on the door even harder, but there really wasn't anyone there.

I could feel his eyes on me, like they were burning a hole in the back of my head. I wanted to try and find another way out, but if I did it meant that I would have to turn around and possibly face Blue.

"Are you done yet?" He asked in a rough voice, like it was the first thing he'd said all day. I took a deep breath and leaned my head against the door. "The room is laced with iron, so I can't burn you to death. If that's what you're worried about."

I reached up and pinched my cheek to see if it was all just a bad dream, but it wasn't.

"Alexander," he said and I started scratching my arm, "can you please look at me?"

"No." I answered. "I don't want to look at you because I know you hate me. Renee is dead because of me, if you hadn't of come to my house that day then you wouldn't have been blind and you could ha-"

"You didn't ask me to" he interrupted. "No one did. I was going to see you for my own selfish reasons."

I heard Blue get up, and his footsteps getting closer. I didn't want him near me, because I was still scared. I was scared that Blue was going to look at me and fall apart and I was scared that I would look at Blue and I would fall apart.

I felt him getting closer, and I could smell the rain on him. His warmth reached me, and I flinched as he touched my arm. I didn't realize until then that I hadn't stopped scratching.

I yanked my arm away from Blue and sped across the room. Blue frowned at me, and I noticed how red his eyes were.

As though he'd been crying all night.

"You're bleeding," he muttered. "I can smell it."

"I'm not," I shook my head. "It's the iron in the walls."

"You're bleeding," he repeated and pointed to my arm. I pulled the sleeve of my shirt up and he was right. It must have been from when I was rubbing too hard with the loofah and I just scratched it again and it started bleeding.

"It's fine," I shrugged and pulled the sleeve down again. "It's fine."

"Alexander, do not blame yourself for Renee's death," Blue told me slowly, "Renee died because I was selfish. I... I loved Renee. But she didn't want anything to do with me until I was a Vampire. Renee was scared that she would hurt me. I didn't think I could love anyone as much as her, but then we came here. We came here and you showed up on my doorstep. I have never experienced anything like this Alexander. These urges I have, I feel too much when I'm around you. It drove me crazy, and it started driving Renee away. She was always leaving, going off on adventures with Wren because she had this crazy idea that if I... If I loved you more than her, then I would leave and live some kind of normal life. I meant everything that I said to you in my bedroom Alexander. I wanted to kiss you, and I wanted to do so much more than kiss you."

Blue took a step towards me, and I would have taken a step back but I was already against the wall and there was nowhere for me to go. Out of all places agent Delany could have locked me in, he locked me in the room with Blue. Which was stupid, because why would he keep his prisoners in their cells together?

"I had no doubt in my mind that Lincoln was the one that was dead," he continued and inched towards me, "it wasn't until you started assuming that she was too that I started thinking that it could just as easily be Renee. And I was angry that you made me realize that. I was even angrier when you took her soul-"