26 // DEATH OF A BELOVED

"No," I muttered as the comatose started rising around me. Jones sat completely up, and I looked over at the two Renees. "No, no, no, no, no." 

I left Jones' side and hurried to try and keep them both unconscious, which sounded odd. 

"Alex?" Jones asked groggily. 

"I know you might be tired," I told him quickly, "but I need you to run and get Orlando and Blue. They aren't too far away."

"Why?" He frowned. 

"One of them are going to die!" I cried. "Jones go!"

It took a moment for what I said to sink in for Jones, but when I did he was off and running. I sat in between the two Renees and checked both of their pulses. I immediately knew which one was dying because her heartbeat was being erratic. 

"What is happening?" One of the Werewolves muttered. I started checking over the dying Renee to see if I could find anything wrong with her externally. I could only find scratches though, so I could only assume that she was hit with some kind of magic. 

As I was about to check on the other Renee again, the dying Renee coughed and blood spurted out of her mouth. I felt my breath catch in my throat and I quickly pulled the Renee onto my lap as she started coughing even harder. 

"Alex." she coughed.

"Shh," I ordered her. "Blue is going to be back any second now and you're going to be fi-"

"Kaiser," she interrupted me, and she sounded strained. 

"It can wait," I assured her. 

"Listen to her." 

I looked over and the other Renee was sitting up with wide eyes. I could see the roots of this Renee's hair turning from black to a warm brown. A part of me was relieved to know that Lincoln was alright, but the rest of me was praying that Blue would get back in time to save Renee. 

"Kaiser," Renee repeated and with every breath she took she coughed and more blood would poor out of her mouth. "You're- not- crazy" 

"Renee!" 

I looked over and Blue was running so fast that it looked like his legs were a blur. he dropped to his knees next to Renee and I and he grabbed her hand. He started chanting in Latin, and as he did Lincoln did the same on her other hand. I watched as both Lincoln and Blue's veins started turning black on their arms. 

Lincoln stopped muttering and gasped a little, whereas Blue squeezed Renee's hand tighter and started chanting quicker. More of Blue's veins started turning black until Renee pulled her hand out of his. 

"It's- fine," Renee told him through labored breaths. Blue reached up and pushed some black hair out of Renee's eyes. She smiled the tiniest bit and he wiped some of the blood from Renee's chin. 

"I should have saved you," Blue whispered. "If I wasn't blind, I could have saved you." 

"Don't- blame- yourse-" Before Renee could finish, she started coughing again. But it was worse this time. Blue reached for her hand, but she snatched it away weakly. 

"Let me take your pain away," Blue begged, but she shook her head. instead, she took Blue's hand and put it on her forehead. 

"Take- it," she wheezed. Blue frowned, but he started uttering Latin. Renee's breathing became shallower, and she started twitching slightly. Blue squeezed his eyes shut so tightly that his eyes crinkled at the corners. He covered them with his hand and continued muttering Latin. 

As the minutes passed, Renee started twitching more violently and I feared that she was already dead. 

Five minutes later, Renee stopped moving completely. Blue fell backwards and was breathing quickly. His eyes were red and glassed over, but he reached for Renee again.