Chapter 5: Broken Dreams

~Broken Dreams~

A sharp ray of light from the sun hit my eyes, stirring them to open.

"Troy...Troy..." A wispy voice called. It sounded like the voice of a young maiden.

"Arise, Troy," she said. I looked around for the young lady, only to find the walls that enclosed me gone. My mouth gaped open at the sight of my bed sitting in a sea of grass and wildflowers. Beyond the open field was a ring of thickets. Not a person in sight. Where was I? How did I end up here?

"Arise, Troy!" the voice repeated.

"Who are you?" I called out. For a moment the only reply was the sound of birds cooing from the canopies.

"The better question is who are you?" the voice resumed. "Now arise!" I scrunched my brows.

"Do you see my legs?" I said, pointing to the bandages. "I cannot walk."

"You too can walk. It is all in your head." The voice echoed from the woods.

"Very funny. Now someone please carry my bed back to my room." A cool breeze caressed my face. I blinked. Emerging from the thickets was a woman with flowing black locks. Her locks and flowy garment danced to the breeze as she sauntered towards my bed. My initial shock shifted to intrigue.

"Come with me so I can show you the secrets the forest hides." Still skeptical, I pulled the sheets off me only to find the bandages still wrapped around my legs. She turned her back to me before walking back into the thickets.

"Wait!" I shouted. I slowly scooted to the edge of the bed, before letting my legs dangle over the edge. I planted my right feet on the earth, feeling the grass tickle my bare feet. I planted the next foot in front of the other. Then I repeated the motion faster and faster. With one hand still clinging to the bed, I felt my steps becoming steadier. Holding my breath, I finally let go. My face ignited into a wide grin as I felt myself walking unhindered. Then it vanished when I realized the woman had already disappeared into the dark thickets. My stride picked up into a sprint, as I ran through the maze of tangled underbrush and swaying branches.

"Wait!" I shouted. I reached another clearing, where I stopped to catch my breath. Then I saw her dressed in a cloak, her back to me as she faced a pool of water.

"Come closer by the pool of Aurora where you can be healed of impurities and infirmities." I crossed to the pool and then she turned around only to find a man staring back at me. His gray eyes sent shivers down my back.

"I thought that..." I stammered. "This must be a mistake," I said, stumbling back a few steps.

"Ah, but you came for a healing did you not?" I nodded.

"I want that bulla around your neck." I looked at it regretfully. I forgotten I still had the locket hanging around my neck. I knew it must have some special meaning although I could not remember what.

Sensing my hesitation he said, "You have to give it here if you want to be healed."

"But I am already healed," I replied.

"That is a mere illusion. Your legs will eventually give out on you. I am talking about new legs." I sighed before handing it over. He smiled, flashing his teeth.

"Thanks but I also need that locket too," he said, pointing a gangly finger at me. I looked down at it. That was the last thing I had to remember my mother by.

"I am sorry I cannot give it up, even for new legs. I apologize for wasting your time."

Then without warning he lunged for the bulla.