Heart Out - Chapter 24

Hello everyone!

Hope you enjoy this chapter :) xx

Songs Inspired: Heart Out by The 1975, The City by The 1975

Your P.O.V.

Austin had to stay in the hospital for about two weeks after he and I had our "little" talk. To be honest, I believe all of this was worth it. Austin and I... were as strong as ever, the strongest a couple can be! However, things are different, even in the slightest way. Then again, why wouldn't it be? Not too many couples have had to deal with the things we've dealt with. But that's alright. I'm just glad the both of us can be honest with each other 100% of the time.

I feel a mixture of guilt and pity for my mum. She's having to deal with all the financial burdens of this little trip. She has to pay for all of this, including food, shopping, feminine products, the whole deal. Luckily, Daniel is kind enough to stay at his place so we don't have to pay for any hotels. She vowed to somehow make it up to him in some way, since Daniel is too humble enough to take some money. I love Austin and everything, but I can't sleep at the hospital.

Daniel and I have grown real fond of each other. I caught him playing piano and singing one of his favourite American songs, A Time For Yohe by Between The Trees. The song instantly clicked to me and I made a mental note to show it to Austin one day. Right from the start, however, it's always seemed that Daniel seem to treat me a bit differently than the others. At first, I thought it was a strange trait that somehow every single European inherited. But as I got to know more about Daniel, I wasn't quite sure my first theory was correct at all. I became slightly displeased when he sent a text that ended with "Love you." And me being the nosy little shit that I am, I asked him about it. The first thing he promised was that he wasn't trying to steal me away from Austin. He then went on to express that he sees me more as the sister he never had but had always dreamed about. He went on about how his mother had a stillborn when he was 5 years old. He was looking forward to having a baby sister to protect and look after, even at such a young age. After that, his parents never really attempted to have another child in fear of what happened may be repeated again. Daniel stated to me that even after we go back home, he wants to keep in touch with me. Whether it was email, Skype, text, whatever it took. We promised each other that we would pay the costs for international texting and calling because we knew it'd both be worth it. Ever since then, we've been inseparable.

Every day, I go to the hospital as soon as visiting hours begin. Austin and I would do all sorts of things like TV marathons, silly YouTube videos... I was just happy that Austin was alive and getting better. I would always attempt at making him laugh, but he would laugh anyways at how much I failed to get him to laugh. We would spend hours cuddling and talking about nothing and everything. Our minds would wonder hand-in-hand to distant places that only the two of us had the knowledge about.

Towards the end of his stay, he began therapy lessons for his legs. It was strange how, after a couple days of therapy, he seemed... different. I don't really know how to explain it. Peculiar, maybe? To me, it may be just my mind playing tricks. It's a curse, really. I take in any and every little detail of every little thing that happens around me. I begin to over-analyze situations to the point where I might as well be a detective or a lawyer. I was very worried. Although it seemed like everything was back to the way it was, to the way it's suppose to be, it all seemed different. I saw that he looked at me in a slightly different way. No one else would notice this difference, but why would they? No one else knows him like I do. They wouldn't be able to pick it out from all the other looks he has.

One night, of course, Daniel and I were visiting Austin. Daniel sat on a chair that he brought closer to Austin's bed while Austin and I were cuddling. We were in the middle of watching a movie when Austin's nurse came in.

"Heures de visite sont sur en 10 minutes," said Noémie.

Despite the fact we've been in France for nearly a month, Austin and I (as well as the rest of our families) have been procrastinating at trying to translate French to English. Austin and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows then glared at Daniel, who rolled his eyes and sighed. "She said visiting hours are over in ten minutes."

Austin and I both made our own mumbled set of words. I got up from the bed and put on my jacket. Daniel was kind enough to bring me my purse, which I thought was kind of a sweet thing to do. I turned back to look at Austin and he looked at me with such a plain face. I held his hand and asked,"Are you okay?"

"Mhmm..." hummed Austin, giving a small, half-attempted smile. I leaned down and pressed our lips together. The kiss was short and sweet, which is how he always likes it.

"I love you," I whispered. He mouthed the words "I love you, too" before I turned my back, and made my way out of his room.

Exiting the building, Daniel and I walked to his car. As he drove off, my stomach made a growl that sounded like a lion's rawr.

"Somebody's hungry!" joked Daniel.

"Just a bit," I said chuckling. "We've been so busy with Austin, I guess I forgot to eat.."

When we reached a red light, he reached for his phone. He began to tap away at a text message, then turned his attention back to the light. "I know of this unbelievably good coffee shop! It has the best coffee I've ever had!" Daniel's eyes sparkled more than a starry night.

"I guess we should head over there, then!" I said excitedly. I've always had a thing for trying to go to different places to try out new things. It's the thrill and excitement of the unknown that keeps me hungry.

We drove for around 15 more minutes. The time seemed to pass rather quickly due to me staring out the window. You'd think that all of France would either be like Paris or cottages every few miles from each other and large fields. But the area Daniel lives in is rather in the middle. Very suburban with high buildings that are just dying to scream out their stories and life lessons. When were they built? Was there any new technology used? What was their original purpose? What kind of events happened in their walls? Who were the workers that built the buildings? What were their stories? Did they have to feed their families or did they just really love to build?

My thoughts were all interrupted when I noticed a very familiar logo with an even more familiar name.

"Really, Daniel? You've taken me here, of all places?" I questioned him with a smirk on my face.

He got out of the car, went over to my side and opened the door for me. "What? It's a classic and my original statement still stands valid," he said as he closed the door behind me.

He does have a point there, I thought to myself. We walked into Starbucks and a blast of warm air slapped us in the face. I'm not complaining, however. I could just feel the frost forming on the tips of my eyelashes.

"Welcome to Starbucks!" exclaimed the barista.

The shop was slightly busy. It was a very spacious store that was decorated really well. There was a rustic theme with a hint of New York. Very authentic.

We ordered our drinks, waited for the employees to call out our names (in a very sexy French accent) and sat down at a table by the windows. I decided to get a Grandé Gingerbread Latté while Daniel got a Venti Extra Hot Vanilla Latté. What a diva, I joked to myself. I'm such a funny person that I giggled a bit too loudly. Enough so that Daniel raised an eyebrow. "What are you giggling about for?"

"Nothing.. Just something I remembered from a little bit ago." I lied.

Daniel frowned. "Is it me or... or does something seem wrong with Austin?" He asked.

"Well considering all that he's been through, I would be worried if he was acting like his normal self," I stated.

"I wouldn't know what his normal self was like.. He seems like he would've been a care-free kinda guy."

I smiled. "Yeah, he was. He was also very kind and sweet. A massive traditionalist but always with a modern twist to things. He was also a hopeless romantic. He would always take me to the local parks and serenade me with his guitar playing and singing. That was actually our first date. He took me to the part and we started talking. When I began to ball my eyes out, he sang to me and made me feel loved, like I belonged with him."

"You say all that as if he's actually dead.. As if he really did commit suicide," said Daniel, expressing a worried look.

I looked away, anywhere but Daniel. All this still fresh to me, I still refuse to believe he even tried to do what he did. Feeling a tear began to trail down my cheek, I wiped it away. Looking down in my lap, I bit my lip and played with my fingers, trying to think of a way to put my thoughts into words that will hopefully make sense. "To me, in a sense, a part of him has died. I don't know which part that is, but it's an important one.."

Daniel took out his hands and placed it on the table, opening them. I smiled a fragile smile and place my hands in his. He held them as he looked into my eyes. "[Y/N], everything will be okay. I can promise you that with all of my heart. If it's not okay, I'll try my best to make it that way. You will never be alone; I'll always be in your corner. We'll figure this out together. I'll help you figure his heart out."

We sat there, continuing to talk until the employees told us they were closing. We left and drove back to Daniel's place. Even though I was too exhausted to even hope to get the chance of catching a few hours. I waited until I knew for sure Daniel was asleep to sneak out into the balcony. The air was crisp and bit any exposed skin of mind that it could find. For once in my life, I was completely and utterly unsure of how I felt.

_______________

So sorry that it took me so long to update! I hope this chapter was as good as all the other ones.

Finally! no cliffhanger!!!! YAYYYY!

I LOVE YOU ALL AND HOPE YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC!

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, AND FOLLOW! IT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME! I READ EVERY SINGLE COMMENT!

Melody <3