Chapter 1

This is my first time writing any kind of story so don't be too hard on me, k? ;-)

Feel free to give some feedback because -heck- i'm probably gonna need some.  Other than that, enjoy ~

Chapter 1

The Ways of Orthion

The pain is too much. My body is heavy and bruised.

I can hear his footsteps approach towards my crouching figure. I remain motionless aside from my shaking arms trying to hold my weight, but my mind is on overdrive - thinking, assessing my next move... because that is what I was taught. To fight and win.

He stands above me and I can only see his knees. I hear him draw a weapon from its sheathe, probably a knife. He thinks he's won.

"Heh, you put up a good fight bitch but that's all your worth. Seems like boss had too much faith in your skills. See you in hell."

I use the last of my strength to haul myself up quickly as his arm is swinging down for the finish. I stop his attacking arm with my left forearm and use my right knuckles to jab him in the throat. He drops his knife in shock to grasp his throat - trying hopelessly to breathe. I hear him gargle and drop to the ground.

I stand there limp and just look at the lifeless body.

"Bravo! bravo! You have again done the most impressive my dear." Not him. I inwardly cringe at the cocky, deep voice of Master. I glance his way as he approaches but I don't give further acknowledgement.

"Oh, don't be sour!" he says as he strokes my chin lifting it upward until our eyes are level. "So what if I put the odds against you? Those weapons did those men no good." He kicked the dead body. "Now go and fix yourself up, training is done."

"Yes Master Law" I say indifferently - just because it is required. I turn and briskly walk away despite my body's cries of pain. I want to get away from him before I can show any sign of anger, disgust, and weakness - I will not give him the satisfaction.

I walk through the training field seeing the brutality in the other fights. This is how Master Law trains his soldiers for battle. As he put it: "Those who deserve to live are those who can fight and win." I don't know whether to agree or disagree - it's just a mentality that is forced upon everyone here because out here it's obey or be killed. My thoughts continue and I fail to notice I have made my way into headquarters until I hear a voice call behind me.

"Rina! Don't you move!"

Michelle catches up and gently wraps one arm around my waist and moves my arm over her shoulder. I gratefully lean against her. I have been so deep in thought and failed to notice how fatigued I actually am.

"Holy shit! HE went too far this time! If only I could get my hands on him..." Michelle fumed.
"Hey to you too." I gave her a small smile.

She looks at me with worried eyes. "I'll take you to your room and bandage you up. And don't you dare say I'm okay." I shut my mouth - I'm definitely in no position to refuse the help.

She sat me down on the bed slowly. She begins to mash up some medicinal herbs and prepare the bandages.
As I wait I can't help but notice that she's so darn beautiful when she concentrates. Michelle is definitely above average in looks with her slightly wavy brown hair falling below her shoulders. Her assertive and strong willed work ethic as a medic makes her so reliable. She knows the hell I have been through and goes above and beyond to take care of me. And in turn I'd trust her with anything.

"Rina take off your shirt."
I laugh to myself, Michelle always fails to word her sentences with less innuendos. I might as well have some fun.

"How bold of you Michelle." I grin at her.

"Oh, don't even!" If only I wasn't injured, she would have slapped my arm.

I laugh and pull off my shirt revealing purple, black bruises and dried blood on my wounds.

Michelle gasps as she sees my battered body and she looks as if shes going to cry. She collects herself and gets to work.

After 30 minutes of me screaming profanity, I'm all patched up.

"Okay it's all done, get some rest," Michelle says as she plants a kiss on my forehead.

"You're too good to me." I truly do love Michelle, I'd kill any bastard who brang harm to her.

"You're worth it, now sleep." Michelle helps me onto my back and lies down beside me with her arms encircling my waist. It brings security to know that she's there. I drift off to sleep.