Prologue

Love is a many splendid thing.

According to the ancient Greeks, woman was given to man as punishment. For this reason, Zeus described the first woman as a beautiful evil. My mother, in true Greek mythology fashion decided to name me Pandora. Of all the names from mythology, why that one?  We all know her story. I blame her for the tragedy that is my life.

Her and her golden child Athena. She gave her the name of a Goddess, how do you like that for favoritism? I swear she was born fully grown and armoured like the Goddess. Her and all her perfectness made me resent her more. When I came out to my mom, it was the worst thing. I was put here to embarrass her and disgrace the family. Athena comes out and she is now the president of the local PFLAG chapter. I introduce her to my girlfriend and she laments on the low class company I keep. Athena dates her OLDER sister and mom could not be happier. I hate that woman. I hate them both.

At three I was ecstatic to be a big sister, I would finally have a playmate. Little did I know.

She would always have 'mommy time' but when Athena turned 12 suddenly it was 'mother and daughter time'. I wasn't invited. I did my best in school for her to notice. I joined the track team and amidst my success my over achieving younger sister who managed to skip grades into my class had to join track also and be better at it. She was the star jock. Great at everything she did, soccer and basketball and stayed on the honor roll.

I ran for senior year class president, and I think I only won because Athena campaigned for me. I was surprised she didn't run as my opponent. Marcy would say Athena was only trying to get close to me like any other sibling, not show me up. I don't believe that. She would never give us any space when Marcy came over, Athena would always hang around. Always something critical to say about Marcy, insisted on double dates which she spent much of getting between Marcy and I. This would be the end of that. University would be different, here I will get away from both of them.

I wish I was adopted. Sigh.