Chapter 1: The trouble with getting what you wish for

Mom drove up to the dorm parking lot. The back of the SUV was cram packed with all of our things. I was over joyed to be going to NYU until mom made it clear that I would be attending Wiltshire University with Athena.

I had never heard of this place. I spent days searching the internet, no one has heard of this place. Marcy, my girlfriend, had already moved to New York to start school, she got into an early summer program. I was suppose to meet up with her for fall semester now this. We didn't even get to say goodbye properly. My heart sank with the thought. I must have sighed louder than I thought as mom glared at me. "Get over it. Get your stuff, your rooms are next to each other. " She growled. I swear she was an animal sometimes.

Athena alighted from the car excited. Opening the trunk she grabbed both of her suitcases tucking one under her arm and then grabbed one of mine. I packed my suitcase, it was a struggle to get it out the house to the car. I watched as my caramel skinned little sister walked with the three suitcases as if she was carrying an empty bag. She was 5'9 to my 5'6 not overly muscular but was toned with feminine curves and a plump chest, only a cup size smaller than my Cs. By all accounts she was a very beautiful 15 year old with black hair to her shoulders and legs for days. I was snapped out of my adoration as mom slammed the passenger door I had left open.

We made several trips taking in all our belongings to the third floor of the gray building. The hallways were more cheerful than the outside, thank God. My room was a single with my own bathroom while Athena would share a room with 2 other girls. It seems my luck would be better here, I smiled at the thought.

Mom sat down at the desk before the window of my room.

"Athena close the door, it's time." Athena nodded and did as she was told.

I felt my legs buckle as I prepared for bad news. Mom had the same look in her eye when she told us dad died. I sat on my bed and waited.  I felt that familiar knife in the pit of my stomach as when she gave us the news. It was funny, I had no real memory of dad, but it felt like I had lost my world again just thinking about it. Athena took a seat next to me pushing away the sheets I had pulled out of the opened suitcase.

"Listen to me very carefully, both of you. Things are going to get very bad, that's why you are here to learn. Athena, I taught you all I know and I know you will protect her as best you can but you will need to be better than everyone else ok." Athena nodded as if she knew what mom spoke of.

"Protect who? " I asked.  

"It's time you know the truth." She took a deep breath and turned to look out the window again. "You are not my child. Athena and I are your guardians. Your parents were powerful people. You are expected to take your rightful place as protector of the lower beings. You will meet others like you here and they will show you the way. " She finished in one breath. Its like she was reading a script, no emotions, just facts. 

"What? Wait, what? " I asked in utter confusion "Mom your not making any sense. " I looked at mom for clarity and then to Athena who had her head down.

"Show her," mom commanded.

"Show me what? " I asked looking back at Athena. She took my hand in the gentlest way. I felt a familiar spark that always happens when she touched me.

"Have you ever seen a dead plant?"

Dead plants? I repeated in my mind, how can she be asking about plants when mother is losing her sanity?