Chapter Twenty Six

Moments later, I riffle through a rack of clothes backstage, hoping to the gods that Becky and Josh know what they're doing.

Their plan, or so they'd told me, was that Becky would search the audience for my family, hopefully preventing them from leaving and getting murdered by my psychotic god of an ex-boyfriend, while I preform the dance I'd been planning on before I'd been swept up into the insanity that is the demigod world. I'd protested my part in the plan, arguing that I should be out in the audience helping Becky look for my parents but they disagreed, saying that I need to be on stage where my parents can see me. It's sort of a plan B, they said, if they can't find my parents, maybe my parents will recognize me and come to me instead.

I don't like it, but it's the only plan we've got. So here I am, looking through costume after costume in an attempt to find something to wear during my routine. Josh will be my partner in the duet, seeing as he's the one I was planning on dancing with when I decided to do it in the first place. Plus, he's the only one here -other than myself- that knows the dance.

Sighing, I pluck a short red dress from the rack and walk into the changing room, too worried to care about a stupid costume. I slip on the dress, momentarily reveling in the silky feel of it. Then, standing back, I take a look at it in the mirror.

The dress is simple, the top form fitting and dipping into a V at the top. The skirt is loose and flowy, ending about four inches above my knee. The dress is a startling shade of red, a shade I can't help but to remember Theo loving. I shudder but decide not to waste time looking for another dress.

I fold up my clothes and leave them on a bench outside the dressing room door. Then I sit and do the only thing I can do until my dance: I wait.

Time passes at a snail's pace, with each passing performance passing slower than the last. But then, it's finally time. I walk to the edge of the stage where Josh already stands. 

His back is to me but I sense something off about him. It must be the lighting but his hair seems darker, at least six shades so. And that's not all. He looks taller by at least a few inches and his lean frame seems more muscular than usual. He rolls his shoulders. My eyebrows touch my hairline. Whoa. Make that a lot more muscular.

I shake my head and smooth down the front of my dress. Pursing my lips, I let my hair out from my hair tie, smiling in delight at the soft, silky feel of my curls falling over my shoulders.

Out of the corner of my eye, I glance over at Josh again with drawn eyebrows. I nearly call his name to see if his face has changed as well but, before I get the chance, the stage curtains slide shut and the trio of dancers walk off stage.

Nerves wiggle their way into my mind as I follow Josh out to center stage. To distract myself, I focus on the cool confidence in which he walks. I frown. Josh doesn't walk like that. His walk is insecure and almost sweet, not the self assured, sexy strut of a predator.

Josh stands behind me as the curtains raise, making it impossible for me to see his face. I take a deep breath and the music starts. As the soft beat of "Dreaming With A Broken Heart" by John Mayer fills my ears, I look out into the crowd. My gaze lands on a smiling Becky -and Josh by her side.

A small gasp leaves my lips at the sight. If Josh is down there, then. . . who's up here with me?

Warm hands slide around my waist, a move I remember as the beginning of the dance. A face nuzzles into the crook of my neck, placing a gentle kiss on the exposed skin.

"Hello, love," the man behind me murmurs darkly. At the sound of his deep, rumbling voice, I freeze, letting him guide my body through the dance until I recover. Meanwhile, my thoughts scream at me what I already know: Declan is here and he is pissed.

I gulp and let my body fall into the dance. Declan dances along with me, seemingly knowing the dance just as well as I do. My Warrior excels where Josh struggled. A perk of being a god, perhaps? Then again, maybe it's just Declan being Declan.

"How do you know this dance?" I ask in a hushed voice, partially curious and partially hoping to distract him from his being upset with me.

"I kept an eye on you as you grew up. I must have seen you practice this dance with that human boy a thousand times," he pauses, bad mood returning. "Don't change the subject, Thanatos. Why the hell did you lie to me?"

Oh, damn.

He spins me around to face him and I look at him. I mean really look at him. He's wearing a white button down shirt with a few buttons undone to give a generous view of his perfectly sculpted chest. His black tie hangs undone around his neck, striking home his devil-may-care vibe. Mix that in with some tousled hair and a dark expression and you've got yourself one weak kneed goddess.

"I didn't technically lie to you. I said I wanted to be alone and I did," I stutter out defiantly when I regain my composure.

If even possible, Declan's expression grows even darker and I know that I've said the wrong thing. He dips me low, swinging me around slowly as he stands, looking down at me like only a god of the Underworld can. Beneath his hungry, predatory gaze, I feel like a sacrifice, baring myself body and soul to the dark god. And as he looks down at me, something within me clicks.

It's like a spark, a tiny little spark that hints at the glorious fire I'd felt only in my memories. That fire is what made me Thanatos, Greek goddess of death. Without it, all I am is Laila, mortal demigod. The spark brings Thanatos back to bond with the Laila part of me, temporarily blending the two together.

Declan -or Arawn as my mind whispers- raises me up, allowing his body to brush mine intimately as he whispers, "we are going to do this together, love. I am your Warrior and whether you like it or not, it is my duty to protect you."

I look out into the crown, trying not to let my frustration show, and that's when I spot them. My mother, clutching Dawn with my father by her side. My mom's warm brown eyes stare up at me with unshed tears and part of my heart warms. Of course my mom would recognize me. I may have changed so much but she's still my mom and I'm still her daughter. Hi, baby, she mouths with a watery smile. I begin to smile but the smile drops just as soon as it came when I see who sits to her left.

The golden god lounges in the chair like it's his own personal throne. His dark golden eyes lazily flick up to mine as a slow, sultry smile spreads across his face. He winks at me, then turns and says something to my parents. Seconds later, my family gets up and leaves with my enemy.

My dance ends and the curtains draw closed, cloaking he two of us in darkness. Blindly, I kiss Declan's cheek and then brush my lips against his ear.

"I can take care of myself."

I turn from him then and walk off into the darkness.