Chapter Twenty Five

Through the trees I race, putting as much distance between myself and my friends as possible. If they knew what I'm about to do, they'd try to stop me -or worse, help me- and I can't let them do that. I can't let someone else that I love get hurt because of me. Already today, Wade died and Amora was taken because of me. I don't think I can take any more death.

A huge sigh of relief leaves my lungs when I break through the trees and see the Academy parking lot. In tears, I jog forward and fumble for my keys. I slide into my light blue Volkswagen and rest my forehead against the steering wheel. I let out a sob and then suck in a deep breath.

I sit up, dry my eyes and reach around to the back seat to grab the survival bag Declan had insisted I keep in here. After cleaning the blood off of my arm, I pull on an oversized sweatshirt and put the key in the ignition. After taking another deep breath, I start on the long journey to the place I use to call home.

About an hour into my trip, the spare cell phone in my emergency pack rings. Looking down at it, I bite my lip. Dare I answer it? Reaching over, I pick up the phone, hit send and press the device to my ear.

"Hello?" I answer hesitantly.

"Thanatos," Declan rumbles through the speaker, "where are you?"

Instantly, the waterworks start back up and I'm reminded of all that happened today. "I can't tell you that. I- I just need to be alone right now."

I can practically hear him frown through the phone. "Are you crying, love?"

I sniff, realizing just how much I'd been crying. Wiping a few tears away, I clear my throat. "It's just. . . with everything that's happened -with Amora and. . . and Wade-" I break off, my voice cracking over my fallen friend's name.

"Wait," my Warrior says urgently, "Amora's not with you?"

I frown. "No. She was taken by Leon."

I'm greeted by a stunned silence. Oh, my, I gasp internally, they don't know, do they? Oh, Gods, they'll be destroyed. First Wade's death and now this?

"Oh, gods, Egan!" I gasp in horror, my heart aching for my friend. "Tell him that I'm so sorry and-and we'll get her back."

I hear Declan's intake of breath. "I will," he pauses, something obviously weighing on him. "Thanatos, come back to me, please. I can't think straight when you're off somewhere I don't know."

I bite my lip, unsure of what to say to him. As much as I want to turn this car around and race back into his arms, I can't. I won't let Theo have my human family, too.

"I can't just yet, love. I need to be alone right now but I'll be back soon, I promise."

Declan heaves another sigh. "Alright, love, but hurry back. I miss you," he whispers tenderly.

Fighting back a fresh wave of tears, I breathe brokenly, "miss you, too."

Before I lose my nerve, I end the call and throw the phone onto the passenger seat. Breathing deeply, I wipe the salty wetness from my cheeks. I need a distraction, I think desperately and click on the radio.

Immediately, a soft, sad song about love lost fills the car. I groan, new tears falling onto my already slick cheeks. I slam my hands on the steering wheel, not believing my shitty luck.

About two hours later, I arrive in my hometown, Winterwood. The sight of my old home leaves a bittersweet aching in my chest. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I steer the car towards my parents' house.

I pass by the city hall and notice a large sign in the yard. In bold red letters in reads: DANCE RECITAL AT THE HIGH SCHOOL! 6 PM. A small smiles tugs at my lips. I'd been working on my routine for that very recital before my world was flipped upside down. My dance -a duet- was something I'd been quite proud of. I'd been so excited to preform it at this recital. Mom had been excited, too. She loved to watch the students dance and little Dawn loved all the pretty costumes. She'd squeal in delight and reach out her chubby toddler hands when a particularly sparkly dress would go by.

Pulling myself from the memory, I change direction. Mom wouldn't miss it for the world, which means she, dad and Dawn will be there.

I pull into the high school parking lot and pull down the visor mirror. I wince when I see my red and splotchy from crying face. I sigh. There's nothing I can do about it now. After tying my hair into a high pony tail, I step out of the car.

The high school theater looks exactly as I remember it -only packed with people. I see so many familiar faces that my heart cracks a little bit inside. I find myself missing people that I never thought I'd miss -the music teacher who'd tried to teach me to play the flute even though it was hopeless, the lunch lady I'd talked to everyday. Seeing them all now leaves a dull loneliness in my chest.

Blinking fresh tears from my eyes, I walk further into the room to where the dancers are. Maybe my family will be there, talking to one of the dancers. I walk through the crowd, passing by a couple holding each other as they sit against the wall.

I freeze and look back at them in astonishment. I recognize the two as my old best friend, Becky and my ex-boyfriend, Josh. I must have looked too long because they both look up at me curiously.

Becky's eyes widen hugely and she launches herself at me with a squeal. "Laila!" she cries, pulling me into a tight hug. I return her hug in shock. How did she recognize me? I don't look anything like the Laila she use to know.

My friend pulls away, her brown eyes shining with tears. I blink rapidly, tears of my own threatening to spill. "How did you know it was me?" I ask, voice cracking.

She gives me a watery smile and says, "you were my best friend, Laila. I'd recognize you anywhere."

My ex-boyfriend steps up behind Becky, putting a gentle hand on her waist like he'd use to do to me. Light brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, a polite but warm smile he usually gives to strangers -this is Josh alright.

"Who's this, Becks?" he asks with another polite smile shot my way. Becky opens her mouth but no sound comes out. I come to her rescue, remembering that she often had trouble forming words when she's emotional.

"Hey, Joshy-boy," I say softly, calling him by the nickname Becky and I had given him in the eighth grade. He freezes, the smile dropping from his lips.

"Laila?" he whispers hesitantly. I nod emotionally, letting him pull me into a bone crushing hug. When he releases me, we're all smiling.

"So you're one of those demigods, right?"

I bite my lip. It's so strange to hear the word demigod on Josh's lips. It's like mixing two different worlds that don't belong together. It's damn confusing.

"A goddess, actually," I correct him, praying that he doesn't freak out -or worse- bow down.

His eyebrows raise up to his hairline. "No shit?" he asks, clearly impressed.

"No shit." I grin.

Becky chuckles. "I always knew my girl was special." She grins and then bites her lip. "Why are you here, Laila?"

I frown. The whole story is way too long and complicated to go through now. So what do I tell them? Sighing,  I decide to go with the sort, need-to-know version.

"There's a very bad man who's going to try to kill my family tonight," I level with them. "I need to stop him."

The pair of them exchange a glance and then turn back to me.

"We can help."