Chapter Seven

'Today, Nyx and Erebus told me that they are going into the Underworld to meet with a god that rules there to discuss his brother who has taken a young goddess into his realm and they insist that I come along. They say that it will be good for me to meet the Underworld god whom I send my dead souls to. One could say that I am less than pleased to be meeting him and his barbaric brother. . .'

We arrive in the Underworld in a flash. Just as I expected, the place is desolate and dreary. There is no sun in the yellowing sky, but it is ungodly hot. The heat causes myself and my parents to fidget uncomfortably. We are, after all, creatures of the darkness.

As we climb the numerous steps up to the entrance, I gaze up at the gothic castle that towers over me menacingly. How could someone live in a place so cold and intimidating? I can only imagine the creepy tyrant of a man that must live within these stone walls.

The doors creak open slowly, it's a sound that makes me want to flinch away and cover my ears. I refrain from doing so, however. I walk inside beside my parents, keeping my blue eyes glued to the ground. The sooner that this is over, the better.

Footsteps echo in the large entrance, slow and careful, like a predator stalking its prey. The footsteps stop a few feet from us, but I refuse to look up and meet his eyes.

A smooth, deep voice greets coolly, "Nyx, Erebus-" He stops abruptly and gasps softly.

Then, and only then, do I glance up and when I do my knees go weak at the sight of him.

This god of the Underworld is as captivating as he is powerful. With his dark, unruly hair, his firm lips, his strong jawline, his tan skin, and his rock hard muscles, he is a god who's beauty out shines all the rest. And his eyes, oh, gods, his eyes, they shine with a serpentine glint, green in their very depths.

In that moment I ache to caress his unshaven cheek, to be held in those strong arms and kiss those sinful lips that taunt me from upon his face. I want those things more than I ever have in my long life. By the look in his eyes, he's as enchanted by me as I am by him. He wants those things just as much, if not more, than I do.

He steps forward slowly, as if afraid that he will frighten me and I will run away. When I do not, he takes another stop and another until he stands but an arm's length from myself. He takes my hand and presses a gentle kiss there, igniting a fire within me.

"I am Arawn, Lord of the Underworld, and, might I ask, who you are, my beauty?" he asks in a darkly kind voice. It's a voice that weakens my knees and sends pleasant shivers down my spine.

I stare straight into his exquisite green eyes, unable to get enough of them. When I find my voice again, I respond softly, "I am Thanatos, goddess of death. I hear my souls are sent to you when I guide them."

Arawn smiles and, regretfully, lets go of my hand. His smile is even better than his magnificent eyes, a feat I had deemed impossible. It inspires a small smile of my own to adorn my lips.

"That they are and it is a pleasure. I have heard many stories about your deadly beauty and might I say that they did not do your beauty justice, my love. That I am sure," Arawn murmurs to me softly, the need to touch me burning in his gaze.

 I have been told many a time that I am beautiful by mortals and gods alike, but when he says it, a hot blush creeps onto my cheeks. I murmur a bashful "thank you" and drop my gaze to the ground beneath our feet. Suddenly Arawn's warm, calloused fingers are beneath my chin, gently lifting my face up.

"We have much to discuss, do we not?" the dark god addresses my parents, but not once do his intense eyes leave mine. A small smile dances at the edges of my lips, refusing to be hidden.