Chapter Fourteen

Heat, so much heat. It's smothering me and leaving me gasping for breath. I struggle against it, praying that this inferno of hell is just a dream.

My eyes snap open as I let out an audible gasp in the darkened room. I suck in a few oxygen-deprived breaths thanking the gods for each and every delicious one. I wipe my hand across my forehead to rid of the sweat that drips from my brow and freeze. I can move? I think in a dumbfounded awe as I stare at my pale hand. With a small glimmer of hope, I lift my head up to see the blistering hot thing that I lay on.

The first thing that my mind registers is tanned skin stretched graciously over toned muscles that lead to a sleeping face. Golden hair falls onto closed eyelids that conceal liquid gold eyes on a peaceful face that can only be found in sleep. Theo, in only his boxers. 

In surprise, I look down at myself only to find that I'm in only my bra and underwear. I make a sound of disgust. What a pig. He undressed me while I was unconscious and forced me to sleep in his arms knowing fully well that I'm in love with my Warrior husband. I shake my head, distaste curving my lips.

I shove my angry thoughts away and focus on my chance of escape. It's the perfect opportunity. I can move again, Theo is asleep and it's night time so my powers will be heightened. Carefully, I take a hold of Theo's arm and slowly, very slowly lift it off of my waist. I hold my breath, heart pounding in my ears like thunder. I set his arm down on his side carefully, my eyes darting back and forth between his arm and his closed eyes. Letting go of his arm, I let out a silent sigh of relief. I go to move off of the bed but suddenly a hand is gripping my arm with an iron strength. I let out a shriek of surprise and whip around.

Theo's golden eyes stare up at e with hooded desire. With out a word, he yanks me back to him. I fight him with the desperation of a trapped animal, flailing my limbs about in hope of inflicting some damage. Despite my attempts, Theo overpowers me easily. He grips my wrists in a single hand, holding them above my head and uses his weight to trap the rest of me. Pressing a hot, lingering kiss to my unwilling lips, Theo lifts a hand to my chest, sunlight shining in his palm.

Realizing what he's about to do, my eyes widen in horror. "No!" I yell in fear. I jerk my head with a scream and Theo is yanked off of me instantly. I sit up and see that Theo is being hoisted in the air by my tendrils of darkness. A shuddering breath of relief passes my lips. My powers haven't failed me.

"Thanatos," Theo pleads with an imploring glance. "I'm sorry. I went too far. I just love you so much that it's hard for me to hold myself back."

I ignore him, trying my best to hold onto my power. It may not have failed me, but, after having so much sunlight forced into my system they're weak and I don't know how long they'll last.

"Come on, Thanatos, let's talk about this!" Theo begs, panic seeping into his voice.

I fight the urge to turn around and scream at him. Did he let me try to 'talk it out' when he was attacking my face with unwanted kisses? Did he take my feelings into account at all? No, he didn't.

In anger, I storm over to Theo's closet and yank open the door. Inside is row after row of clothes for me, most of them red. Disgusted, I chose a pair of blue jeans and a loose, long-sleeved grey top, some of the only non-red things in the closet. After slipping them on, I pull on a pair of black, knee-high heeled boots.

"Thanatos, please!" Theo screams, thrashing desperately against his dark bonds.

Hurriedly, I shrug on my now-dry cloak and grab the bag I'd taken from the Underworld. Theo's screams follow me to the door.

"No, Thanatos!" he cries, muscles rippling under his tan skin as he struggles.

I pause halfway through the door and turn back to Theo with a sour expression. "Go to hell," I spit angrily and slam the door behind me.

My feet pound on the floor as I race down the hotel's halls fearing that Theo will escape his bonds and come after me. Thankfully, Theo's room is on the first floor, allowing me to escape even faster. in the lobby, the man behind the front desk gives me an odd look as I rush past him and burst through the double doors. 

I don't stop once I get outside. I tear down the sidewalk, away form the hotel and don't look back.

I run for a good hour until I feel safe enough to slow down. I slip into a phone booth, waging an internal battle over who I should call for help. It doesn't matter, however, because my fingers are already dialing a familiar number. It rings only once.

"Hello?" a dejected Declan answers immediately, a sliver of hope in his voice. Did I do that to him?

I open my mouth to speak but shut it quickly. As much as I want to, I can't ask Declan for help. He'll have me locked up in the Underworld before I can even think to fight him. I have to get rid of Theo before he does any more damage. Declan may want to protect me, but now it's my turn to protect him.

"Hello? Thanatos, is that you?"

At the sound of my Warrior's frantic voice, I turn my attention back to the phone.

"Thanatos, love, if you're there, talk to me. You're all I have. I won't lose you. Please, at least tell me if you're okay," he whispers brokenly, and, in that moment, it feels like he's here with me, speaking the words into my ear with his lips against my skin.

There are so many things that I want to say to him; I love you, I miss you, take me home, but I don't say any of those things.

A tear rolls down my cheek as I whisper almost inaudibly, "I'm okay."

I hang up quickly, pushing back a sob. I dial another number in a hurry, not letting myself think about how much I miss Declan. 

"Hello?" a tired male voice asks.

"Wade, it's me."