Chapter Nineteen

My eyes snap open as I gasp in an audible breath. A single tear leaks from my eye, reminding me of my crushed soul. A whimper sounds to my right; my beautiful silver wolf sensing my distress.

"Laila?" a soft, concerned voice asks.

Though my head is bowed, I can see Mckenzi's feet moving my way, to comfort me most likely. I do not want her comfort. There is only one person that could comfort me now and he's not here.

"Laila, what's wrong?" It's Wade who asks this time, his voice laced with worry.

I look up. It's the only way that I can show him that my heart has been destroyed and that I can't talk about it now. The moment his eyes touch my face, he lets out a gasp. Those next to him do the same, their eyes widening hugely.

For just a moment, I allow curiosity to wiggle its way into my conscious mind. What happened? Oh, hell, did I change again?

No, the part of me that lived before this me was even born says, a goddess's sorrow is a terribly beautiful thing. These demigods are captivated by it.

I look around me slowly, quivering with a sudden feeling of loneliness. So many eyes, all looking at me. It's overwhelming; too overwhelming.

In a near panic, I turn and run form the circle and into the woods. Voices call out to me, begging me to come back but I ignore them. I can't go back, not when death follows me wherever I go.

Beginning to sob, I rip my hair out of its up do, letting it cascade around my shoulders in unruly curls. My bare feet pound against the forest floor, echoing the frantic pounds of the heart that hangs battered and broken within me. Twigs snap under my feet, drawing blood but I'm too far gone to care.

Crescendo races after me, her nervous whimpers resounding through the forest. Her presence eases my loneliness, but only a little.

I fall to my knees, the weight of what I caused becoming too much. My hair falls into my face, creating a veil between me and the world around me. Through the dark mass, I see Crescendo tilt back her massive, silvery head and howl so loud that I nearly have to cover my ears.

When she finishes her song, she pads over and curls her body around mine to keep out the night chill. Letting out a sound that's half laugh and half sob, I bury my face in my wolf's silver fur.

The cold air brushes the skin of my bare shoulders, prompting a shiver to wrack my body. Maybe I should just let the cold kill me, I think to myself hysterically. Then, maybe Theo would give up on his delusional plot and let the rest of the gods go poison free.

What would that do to Declan? the more reasonable side of me asks. You've already put him through so much; caused him so much pain. Doing that would destroy him.

I let out another sob into Crescendo's side. I have my answer then, don't I? I have to finish this.

Arms, strong and reassuring, are suddenly around me as I'm folded into a familiar embrace. I turn around and dive into his arms, pressing my tearful face into his broad chest. A gentle kiss is pressed to my head. Not a word is said but yet a thousand words are spoken in that kiss.

"You came," I breathe into his shirt as I clutch him like I'm drowning and he is my only salvation.

"Of course I came, love," my Warrior whispers tenderly in my ear, his warm breath fanning over my face. "I'll always be here for you."

With those words, he does the impossible; he puts a smile on this sad face of mine. Some of the weight on my chest lightens when this happens. I curl up in Declan's arms, feeling much better than I did before; broken, but better.

"He needs to be stopped, Declan," I sigh, knowing that Declan will know exactly who I'm talking about. I blow out a frustrated breath. "The problem is, I don't know how."

My Warrior runs one of his large hands through my mass of dark hair, soothing me the way that only he can. He then slides that hand down to cup my face as he peers into my eyes, seeing more there than anyone else ever could.

"We'll find a way, I promise," he says and it's like he's speaking directly to my soul when he does. "We'll end this pain, together."

I smile slightly and cover the hand that rests on my cheek with my own.

"Together."

Then he smiles that alluring, beautiful smile that I've missed so much and what's left of my heart swells. Those captivating green eyes of his are sorrowful but hope shines within them.

Declan lifts me up into his arms and begins to carry my, bridal style, through the woods as Cupid and Crescendo trail along beside us. I close my eyes, letting the gentle sway of Declan's arms rock me to sleep.

When my eyes re-open, Declan and I are standing at the edge of the trees, facing the Academy.

"Do you want to go back to your room?" Declan asks softly with a raised eyebrow.

I begin to say yes but then remember something. "No, Amora will be there and I don't-"

I'm cut off when he presses a gentle kiss to my unsuspecting lips. I blink in surprise and look up at him with a budding smile on my lips.

"Say no more,"  is all he says before he begins walking again.

Declan takes me into Avalon Hall, carrying me all the way to the dorm he used to share with Theo. Memories flood my mind but I push them away. I don't want to think about him right now, not after what he's done.

Silently, Declan hands me one of his shirts to sleep in. Not bothering to go into the bathroom to change, I step out of my gown and slip into Declan's shirt. I smile to myself when I see that Declan has turned around to give me privacy.

Such a gentleman, I muse, walking over to the window.

Pressing my hand against the glass, I smile at the memory it brings. "Do you remember that night I stayed here and you held me and told me about our past?"

Declan makes a fond sound at the back of his throat, remembering. "I do."

I turn slightly to look at him, a question in my eyes. "Would you do it again?"

Instead of answering, my Warrior scoops me into his arms and sits us down on the windowsill where moonlight trickles in. Under the moon, he tells me of the wonders of our past and holds me tightly, promising to never let go. When holding open my eyelids becomes too much to bare, he rocks me in his arms, protecting me from the terrors that the rising sun brings.