Chapter Sixteen

"You mean your sire goddess, Aphrodite?" I ask slowly, not grasping what she's telling me.

Her sad blue eyes stare up at me as if her world has come crashing down on her. Not even her cheery blue irises are enough to lighten the defeated look in her eyes.

Amora opens her moth to answer my question but finds it impossible to get the words out. She nods, a whimper sounding in the back of her throat. The look on her face is one of such soul crushing despair that I can't help but to pull her into an embrace. She falls into the hug gratefully, sobbing into my shoulder which muffles her cries. I rub what I hope are soothing circles into her back, staring unseeingly.

This can't be happening, part of of denies, it has to be a dream. I'd wished that Theo was lying about what he did to the gods, that it was all some sick joke but this, this proves that it's all real.

The worst part is that I can't do anything about it. Even if I manage to pull off the impossible and defeat Theo, I still won't be able to save the gods. I won't even be able to save my own parents. Nyx and Erebus are in as much danger as the rest of the gods.

Blinking the visions of Theo's destruction from my eyes, I refocus my attention on soothing Amora. I can't help but wish that Declan was here. He would know how to comfort Amora. He has this way of comforting those around him without uttering a single word.

If only, I sigh mentally and focus on Amora, who lets out another round of sobs.

We stay like that until the early hours of the morning, when she finally cries herself out and falls asleep. I follow suit soon after, falling into a dream -or, rather, a memory- of my past.

Water caresses my skin as I emerge myself deep into the depths of my bath, encased in ancient stone. I sink down to the stone floor of the bath, letting my long, dark hair spill across the floor around me. 

My breathing ceases as I stare up at the rippling surface above. A pair of shadows dance over the water; two of my worshippers, gently tossing rose petals into my bath. This brings a pleased smile to my lips.

Arawn loves when I take rose baths. When I do, he always kisses me and whispers that I smell like a cool night breeze passing through a garden of roses. Maybe he will again, if he finds me.

We are playing a game, he and I, one that we have played many a time before. In the game, I run away and hide from my beloved husband and he must come and find me. It is an exciting game of cat and mouse; of predator and prey that neither of us can seem to get enough of.

I have been running from my Warrior for two moons now, longer than ever before. My accomplishment has a bitter sweet feel to it, however. If I do not hide well, I will not win the game but if I do hide well, I will not see my Warrior's handsome face until he finds me.

I sigh mentally and close my blue eyes for just a moment, enjoying the utter darkness I find behind my lids. When I reopen them, something feels off. Flicking my gaze around for the source of my unease, I let my peaceful feeling slip.

With a frown, I note that the shadows of my worshippers have disappeared completely. My heart beat quickens as I think of what could possibly have happened. Did a mortal enter, thinking it smart to challenge a goddess? Or was it a god, seeking to catch me off guard?

Quickly, as to take my potential attacker off guard, I surface, flicking my hair from my face, and grab the silver dagger from the edge of my bath. I hold it up expertly, pleased that my long, dark hair covers my breasts. I then get my first look at my attacker and the hairs of the back of my neck immediately stand on end.

"Mmm...," he says darkly, piercing green eyes taking me in greedily. "Now, love, it is not kind to point weapons unless you intend to use it."

The blade nearly slips from my quivering fingers but I hold tight to it. I tremble as the dark god watches me in shadowed amusement.

The god stalks towards me like the predator he is, his hooded eyes never leaving mine. His tantalizing lips curve into a knowing smirk as I fight to stay still. He comes to stand before me, joining me in the bath. I stare up into those lovely green eyes as my knees weaken and wobble beneath me. I continue to gaze up into his handsome face, a single name on my lips.

"Arawn," I breathe, unconsciously leaning into him. My heart flutters in my chest at the mere sight of him, feeling whole once again.

With a soft smile upon his lips, my Warrior gently uncurls my fingers from the blade, letting it splash into the waist deep water that surrounds us. He then presses his lips to my ear, his warm breath caressing my skin.

"I found you," he whispers, encircling me in his strong arms.

Unable to stop myself, and not wanting to, I fall into my Warrior's arms, bursting with my love for him. Our lips touch for the first time since we parted and-

I shoot upright in bed, surprised by my sudden awakening. In the dawning light of morning, I stare down at Amora's troubled, sleeping face and sigh.

I need to harden my heart and, until I defeat Theo, I need to leave my Warrior in my dreams.