Chapter Twelve

I stand deathly still, paralyzed with my fear. My breathing is heavy, the only sound in the otherwise silent alley. My heartbeat pounds in my head, a deafening sound.

I don't dare speak a word, for Theo could try to kill me at any moment. He's tried before and I knew that he'll do it again, especially now that my warrior is nowhere to be found.

Again, I regret leaving Declan. I'd walked right into Theo's trap. He'd probably been watching the Gates of Hell, waiting for me to walk through them so he could pounce. How could I be so stupid?

A grin dances on the edges of Theo's lips, the same lips I'd kissed so many times before. This god is not the man I thought I'd loved. He's gone dark, the flame within him extinguished and replaced with smoke.

In one fluid motion, Theo steps forward and rests a hand on my upper arm. I narrow my eyes at him, a clear warning for him to take his hand off of me, or else. He pays no mind, however, and steps even closer. I gulp. Gods, he's going to do it, burn me alive right where I stand.

"Let me buy you some coffee. I know a quaint little cafe right around the corner. I'll get you something to wear as well. You must be cold," Theo offers. Not quite what I was expecting. I look down at my shredded dress and shiver as the cold night air caresses my bare skin. Nevertheless, I open my mouth the decline, but he cuts me off, his tone noticeably harder. "It's the least you could do. After all, I did just save your life."

There's an obvious threat in his voice. Come with me or die. I've no choice but to nod helplessly in fear that Theo will kill me if I don't. 

Theo's next smile is blinding. I have to fight the urge to shield my eyes. It reminds me so much of the man he use to be that I have to fight back tears. As I collect myself, Theo leads me away from the alley with his scorching hand on the small of my back. He takes me around the block in silence. I'd expected him to gloat about out thinking me, but he doesn't. He simply smiles to himself as if he's accomplished some great feat.

I look back over my shoulder, half expecting Declan to come charging down the street and rescue me, but, of course, he isn't. I don't give up hope, though. He'll come. My warrior will save me.

It doesn't take long for Theo and I to walk to the cafe. Once there, Theo grabs a bag out of his mustang, which he'd parked in front of the cafe. He hands the bag to me and tells me to go change in the bathroom while he orders out drinks. I do as I'm told, deciding that it's best not to piss him off.

The bathroom is small and smells of apples. The walls are a peachy orange and the floor is tiled. Lowering my eyes from my surroundings, I look through the bag Theo had given me.

Red. That's the first thing I see, so much red. I glance down at my torn, sopping wet dress and sigh. I don't really have a choice. I strip off my wet clothes and slip on the clothes that Theo gave me. To my surprise, everything fits. He'd even gotten my bra size right, which is a bit unnerving. Shaking my head, I turn to the full length mirror that hangs on the back of the door to inspect my new outfit.

I wear a tight, red dress that barely reaches mid-thigh. It probably could have served as a tank top rather than a dress but beggars can't be choosers. On top of that is a black leather jacket that -thankfully- covers most of the top half of me. At least with the jacket, I don't feel quite as exposed. The shoes, though, seem to be a bit overkill. They're tall, black and sexy and they make my legs look fantastic. The very last thing I want to do is draw any more attention to my body when Theo is around. 

I stare at my reflection in shock. The outfit is much bolder than anything that I would have chosen. I can't help but compare it to the white gowns that Declan loves me to wear. Those dresses are modestly beautiful, unlike the boldly sexy outfit that I now wear. I can't say that I like the change.

Tearing my eyes from the mirror, I bend down and shove my discarded clothes in the bag, ignoring the accessories that Theo had also included.

I shuffle out of the bathroom and swiftly walk over to Theo's table. I slide in the booth, wishing that my cloak wasn't soaked so I could cover myself up with it.

Theo slides a mug of hot chocolate over to me and says, "I heard that this is your favorite."

I accept the drink with a gracious nod. As I take a careful sip, Theo's golden eyes rake over me slowly, desire sparking in their depths.

Swallowing quickly, I ask, "how did you know what sizes I wore?"

Theo smiles a small smile. "I know my girlfriend," he says simply.

I frown and try to ignore how incredibly creepy that is. There's a much bigger topic that needs to be set straight.

"I'm not your girlfriend."

The words are blank of emotion, but I can tell that they upset Theo a great deal. He clenches his jaw angrily but lets it go. Uncomfortably, I take another drink of my cocoa.

"You know, I'll never understand why Arawn likes to dress you in those damn white dresses. I like you so much better in red," Theo purrs, eyes trailing over me suggestively.

Disgusted, I down the rest of my hot chocolate and set my empty glass on the table. I drop my head onto my hands, feeling a headache coming on. Theo asks if I'm okay but he sounds a million miles away. The world becomes blurry and my mind is unfocused.

". . . hotel room? . . . get some sleep."

Theo's voice fades in and out. Sleep? Yes, I want to sleep, I think hazily. I nod, well, at least I think I do. I'm so disconnected from my body that I can't tell.

The next thing I know, I'm being carried out into the cold night air. Then I'm laid on the backseat of a car. I fade in and out of consciousness, just like the light of the street lamps that pass by the window. This time, when I resurface from the dark waves of unconsciousness, I'm being lifted from the car and carried somewhere. I try to lift my head but it's far to heavy, so I just lay limp in someone's incredibly warm arms.

A door opens then shuts and then I'm laid on something soft and comfortable; a bed. I struggle to open my eyes, and when I do I have to fight to keep them open.

Theo stands over me, an arrogant smirk on his lips. "You know, I thought you'd be smarter than that, Thanatos. I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed in you," he tells me. He must see the confusion in my eyes because he then explains almost impatiently, "your hot chocolate. I laced it with sunlight. Not enough to kill you, but just enough to knock you unconscious."

My lips are heavy when I try to move them. It's hard, but finally I'm able to ask, "why?"

This brings forth a hint of a smile on Theo's lips.

"Because I'm giving you another chance, and this time, you're going to choose right."

My heart pounds, processing what my mind cannot, but none of that matters now. The waves of unconsciousness pull me under and, this time, I do not resurface.