Chapter 40; I Promise

*ALEXIS' P.O.V*

I wanted to melt my eyes into Preston, to never let my eyes leave him. My chest was burning within me at the thought of Preston not remembering Harry.

Preston dug his long, un-clipped finger nails into my flesh, clinging onto my hand as if his life depended on it.

"Preston," Harry croaked, his lips quivering.

Harry stepped closer to Preston's hospital bed, landing his trembling hand on Preston's knee.

"No! No! No! Get away!" Preston screamed, flailing his legs around underneath the blanket.

I never thought he'd be able to create such noise, considering his weak and tired looking features.

"Shh," I cooed softly, managing to slip my hand out of his death grip. Instead I held his hand in mine, slowly rubbing circles around the back of it to possibly calm him down.

Harry jerked back, my glossy eyes following him. He had a horrified look on his face, with some anger-or guilt.

I couldn't quite distinguish between the two, but it's not fair if he's angry. It's not fair to Preston what so ever. For god sake's, Preston lived with a sick abuser for two years, who knows what he drilled into Preston's little brain.

I felt Preston slowly unball his tiny fist, soothing under my touch.

I watched Harry furrow his eyebrows and clench his jaw. His hands were bawled into fists at his side, nuckles now turning white from the intensity of his hold.

"Harry, stop." I lowly murmured, watching him glance down at me.

He harshly pressed his lips into one thin line before turning around and storming off.

I shook my head, and turned back to Preston who's curly locks were nearly down to his shoulders. You could see his frail cheek bones and his collar bones were just visible due to the hospital gown cutting quite low.

"Baby, I love you so much." I chocked out, careful not to let anymore tears slip.

I couldn't think about Harry right now. Hell, we have our baby back and Harry doesn't even appreciate that. Instead he gets pissed off, which I can understand, but I just don't understand why he'd take it as far as actually storming off. He hasn't seen his son in two years. I'm sure as hell not following him, if that's what he thinks.

I watched Preston brush his long curls away from his eyes with his opposite hand that wasn't in mine. He had his hospital bracelet around the wrist, and god, his wrists were so tiny.

"You know mommy loves you so much, right?" I almost cooed-in the softest tone I could manage.

I watched him nibble on his cracked bottom lip, motionless.

"Because I do. I will never let anything happen to you, ever again. Does mommy get a hug, Pressy?" I felt my eyes water, my heart fluttering out of my chest knowing I can finally witness Preston in front of me. It's been so long.

I watched him nod, but with a hit of hesitation.

He slowly pulled his hand away from my grasp, pushing his very, very thin arms against the bed. I could tell he was struggling to even hold himself up, and it pained me.

I stood up out of the chair and bent forwards, carefully wrapping my arms around his torso. After I felt his arms find their way around my neck, loosely gripping onto it. Preston rested his head on my shoulder, whimpering ever so quietly.

"What's wrong?" I whispered softly, rubbing his back as lightly as I could, afraid that if I applied too much pressure it would hurt him.

"Are you going to bring me back to daddy? Please don't mommy, I don't like daddy." Preston was sobbing, his little sad voice stabbing at my heart several times.