#33- L o s e

[Sorry for mistakes, I wrote this really fast and didn't check it more than twice so...]

Pete's POV

"Pattycakes?", I called peeking my head around Patrick's bedroom door.

"Hm?", he mumbled, his shining green/ blue eyes wide open.

"Someone gave me a gift for you"

He raised an eyebrow in reply: "Someone? Who?"

I directly shoved a drawing in front of his face: it was from Sarah, the girl we'd had to keep an eye on during Christmas Eve dinner.

Patrick slowly took the gift to look at it.

"Oh, this is me", he giggled and pointed at the little figure drawn on paper "And I'm holding hands with... a girl?"

As soon as he turned the sheet and read the name of the sender, a look of excitement appeared on his face.

"She... she drew this, for me?", he whispered as I watched his eyes slowly grow watery "I thought I'd have never heard from her again, I thought she forgot me... but she didn't; she didn't forget me"

He was surprised of his own reaction.

A sweet, wholehearted smile rested on his thick lips as a few tears silently escaped from his eyes.

"Hey", I said, touched "You okay?"

He nodded laughing and muttered "Gosh, I feel so stupid" while I started rubbing his back softly.

"She actually cares about me", he commented after a while "Well, she's a four year old girl, but... I don't know, she's just been so nice to send me this drawing. Children are very sensitive and generous, sometimes I wish adults learned from them. Instead, they just forget they once have been children, too"

I nodded in agreement and lowered my gaze, then added: "Oh, I have another surprise for you; guess what? We'll be able to go home"

"When?!"

"Tomorrow probably"

"Thank God", he sighed, closing his eyes.

In the end, actually, it didn't turn out that hard to escape from that hell of a hospital. I thought some doctor would had complained: "Maybe it's too early", "He's not ready to get out", "He still needs some recovery here"... Instead, I just had to sign a few papers and then... straight home.

"Okay, hold my hand", I ordered while stepping in my house hall.

"My head is spinning like crazy"

"Don't worry, we're almost in, then you can get on the couch"

We eventually made it after a couple of seconds.

"Are you hungry?", I asked him gently.

"Just a tiny bit", he chuckled awkwardly as he stretched his left arm on a pillow.

"I'll prepare some food... what about pasta? Or a soup?"

"I think pasta is more than okay, thanks"

I nodded and approached the stove after taking a quick look at Patrick.

"By the way you look beautiful, as always", I said almost accidentally. Now his face was scarlet as a huge smirk formed on his lips: "Not as beautiful as you"

I pretended I hadn't heard, grabbing a pot- holder and turning my back on him. Now it was extremely hard for me to return my attention to cookery: I was lost in thoughts, too many thoughts. Doubts and fears, questions and hopes; then I got distracted by thinking of Patrick, of how much I actually loved him and how awesome he was. I shook my head trying to get back to reality, when I smelled smoke. A lot of smoke; like something was burning.