*Chapter Twenty-One*

I Refuse to Fall in Love with Him *ch.21*

Sereya’s POV:

I had on my black “No Time for Haters” shirt, my white shorts, and I had covered my shoulders with a black jacket, prepared to hit the movies right after school.

“Hey girlie, are you ready for tonight,” Asia asked, as I opened my locker.

“Actually…yes. I’m really looking forward to it,” I responded.

“I’m so glad Sterling’s coming with you. Now I can enjoy my time with Jayden and not have to worry about leaving you alone.”

“Yeah, but still, if you guys are going to make out please promise me that you won’t get out of hand. I would like to enjoy my movie,” I teased.

“Whatever hun. Just make sure that you have some self control with Sterling tonight,” she laughed.

“Ha! You know I don’t do that crap. Plus, I don’t plan on absolutely anything happening tonight. We’re just two friends going to the movies to enjoy each other’s company. Nothing big, just buds hanging out.”

“Yeah okay,” Asia commented as we split up to head to our classes.

I lugged the poster board Austin and I had created. I struggled to open the door, and before I could knock for some help, Austin ran to the door and grabbed the poster for me.

“Good morning Sereya,” he chirped.

“Hello,” I said dryly. “Did you bring the thumb drive?”

“Yes I did. I have it in my pocket,” he confirmed as he placed the tri-fold next to his desk.

I walked across the room, escaping glares from Angel, and sat down. I tried to make eye contact with Janelle, but she was leaned over her desk, talking to Marcus.

“Okay class. This is the day we have been waiting for.  As I call each partner group at a time, come up and present. If you do not get to present today, you will show us your project on Monday,” Mrs. Thomas announced.

I thought about how Mrs. Thomas always does everything by ABC order by our last names, so Austin and I should be safe to present on Monday.

“First up, Austin Jackson and Sereya Williams.”

Dang! So much for ABC order.

I trudged to the front of the room, and put the thumb drive into the computer. Austin smiled at me, and I rolled my eyes and put on my presentation face, serious and professional.

Might as well do a great job and get it over with.

“Our project is on a topic that is unfortunately very familiar with many American couples. About one in five female high school students have reported being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner,” I stated.

“Forty percent of girls from ages fourteen to seventeen have said that they know of someone their age that has been hit or beaten by their boyfriend. What may start off as a heated argument every once in a while, can be able to sadly turn into a case of homicide,” Austin addressed. “Here is more information on domestic violence and how you can be aware of the abusive signs in a relationship.”

* * * * *

“Mrs. Thomas sure did like our presentation. She basically gave us a standing ovation. I’m positive we’re going to get an A,” Austin said as he jogged up to meet me by my locker.