Chapter 16: Revelations

After that, I woke up back in my house. I had gotten up and my mom and dad ran up to me and hugged me with tears in their eyes. I didn't realize it at first, but I had missed them so much. Then mom showed me to our guest bedroom where Liam and Dezmin were sleeping.

Well, Dezmin was. Liam was just sitting on his bed, his eyes red and his cheeks tear stained. When he saw me, he burst into tears, full on crying, and pulled me into a hug. I held him tight, rubbing his back as he sobbed into my chest, whispering 'no' over and over again.

My chest tightened and a lump formed into my throat.

Hunter.

He was gonna be okay, right?

I was desperately hoping for that. Liam and me both. I looked to my parents and I knew that they had a lot of questions for us. All of us. But I wasn't going to answer them now. Not while I had just seen that.

But a lot of my questions were answered. That earthquake was because of the Tushara pack. So everything... from the beginning was done by them?

I looked down to the now sleeping form that was Liam. Glancing over to Dezmin too, I realized that this had gotten way more complicated than it first was.

I sighed and got up, and exited the room. There I saw Serra sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Where's mom and dad?" I asked her as I leaned on the back of the couch with my elbows.

"Work," she replied, refusing to look at me. I looked down at her small blond head in guilt. "Did you really have to leave?" she asked after a long pause, her voice cracking.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled softly. "But yes."

"Why?"

I pulled a small smile as I buried my head in my arms. "I had something I needed to do. Even now, I don't think that this is over,"

"What is it?" She asked, looking back to me, her small brown eyes brimming with tears.

My eyes widened as I saw that. "No, no, no," I told her, grasping her shoulders. "Don't cry, Serra, please, baby," She just looked back at me with confusion and frustration valid in her. I sighed. "I can't tell you what it is. But I think I may have to leave again in the future. When that time come, I'm begging you, don't cry, all right? You hear me? You gotta be strong. For mom and dad. For me, even. Please. Can you do that for me?"

Serra looked at me, wiping her cheeks furiously in an attempt to keep her tears at bay. "On one condition." she told me and I looked at her quizzically. "You gotta promise you'll come back safe when it's all over, okay?"

My heart broke and I bit my lip. Taking a deep breath, I answered her. "Kay. I'll come back safe. Cause I'll know you'll be here waiting for my return, right?"

She smiled softly at me. "Yes. I will, big brother,"

I smiled and sat beside her. We sat there, watching the tv for an hour or two, enjoying the soft silence and peace that was given to us.

It was just about then, that the sky outside started getting darker and before we knew it, it was pelting rain out. The small raindrops pittered pattered on the windows and the roof, and I heard the door creak. A muffled sound followed and I frowned, my brows furrowing in confusion. I got up slowly off the sofa and went into the hallway. My eyes widened as I saw Dezmin leaning against the wall, his face deathly pale, the blue in his eyes seeming terrified as he slightly trembled, gripping onto the material of his shirt, and his breathing laboured as he gasped out slowly, eyes wide.

My own eyes widened and I walked over to him. "Dezmin?" I asked him once I got close enough, "Are you okay?"

He nodded shakily, clamping a hand on his chest, still gripping the shirt tightly. I frowned and took his free hand and pulled. "How about we get you into bed, eh? You look like you're about to pass out."