Chapter 9: Confusion

"I still don't get it." Hunter said, cocking his head to the side.

Both Jesse and Liam sighed. "Is he always like this?" Jesse asked. Liam shrugged, not really in the position to answer since he didn't even know what Hunter was like.

The three boys, (mostly Liam and Jesse), were discussing how and what to do next. Liam had this huge explanation to give about why the man, Mr. Adams, was after Liam. Apparently, Liam was the heir to a very wealthy family. Unfortunately, the head, Liam's father, and his mother died in a car accident two years ago. Liam was their only child and since he was already 15 at the time, most people assumed him as the rightful heir to the Myrone estate. But Liam couldn't officially take the inheritance until he was 18. So until then, if anyone else can persuade Liam to switch the inheritance to them, then they would get it. Mr. Adams was a good friend of Liam's father so if anything were to happen to Liam, he would get the full inheritance. Jesse explained it very slowly to Hunter, who nodded in confirmation.

Jesse sighed. "Finally." he said. "God, how do people deal with you?"

"I find that offensive, you know?" Hunter muttered back.

"Whatever." Jesse scoffed. Also, because of his mind reading powers, he knew about Hunter being a werewolf and about his and Liam's circumstances. Although, Liam wasn't sure whether he could trust Jesse or not. But, Liam thought, since he had saved his life, he couldn't be all that bad of a guy.

Jesse was very surprised that both Liam and Hunter were welcoming to him. I mean, it had been a huge shock to find out that he had just met a werewolf, but he had a special power on his own, so it wasn't that much of a surprise. Plus, Jesse had gotten used to the saying, 'you never know'.

There was another thing. Liam explained why he first came to this town to find a book that his grandmother left behind at their old home. Jesse agreed to help Liam and Hunter retrieve it on one condition. That later, they would take Jesse with them to find Dezmin and Rou again.

So, later that night, when Liam and Jesse were asleep, Hunter got up and out of bed and sneaked out of the house carefully as to not wake the other two up. When he was at a considerable distance, he pulled out his cell and dialled.

"Hello?" Hunter called softly.

"Hunter? Is that you?" the older man's voice asked.

"Yes, dad. Its me." Hunter replied.

"Oh, god, you're okay?!" his father exclaimed, relieved. But Hunter knew he was faking it.

"I'm not gonna kill him." Hunter said with a grim tone.

"What?" his father asked.

"I'm not," He repeated. "Going to kill Liam. Or anyone else of Dezmin's friends."

There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Why not?" the voice was more demanding and angry than faking any kind of other emotion.

"Because," Hunter replied. "Liam is my mate."

Hunter didn't know where that kind of confidence came from to speak like that to the Alpha of the pack. Hunter's father was a ruthless ruler. He was so much of a dictator than anything else, but he was insanely powerful. Dezmin had gone against his father once and he had gotten beaten to the brink of death. That's why. No one dares to defy the Alpha. Well, no one but the Luna, of course.

"He," The Alpha spoke with so much spite in his voice. "Is your mate?!" Hunter could tell he was keeping his anger back. "That's, well, isn't that wonderful?!"

Hunter was a bit taken aback by his father's statement, but then he realized, Oh. Mother must be in the room.

"Give the phone to Mother." he said to his father who grunted. There were a few shuffling noises and a door slamming shut before a feminine voice spoke into the cell.