Chapter 8: The Charmer's Eyes and Jesse

"Look at my eyes." I told Dezmin.

He raised an eyebrow. "I am looking. What about them?"

"Huh?" I said as I let go. "Isn't there anything unusual about my eyes?"

He shook his head. "Nope. What did you think? That they changed colour?" he scoffed.

"Actually, yes." I said, taking a seat. "They did change colour. A lady said that my eyes were yellow and she handed me a mirror."

"And they were yellow?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Well, now they're back to green." he said. "Sure it wasn't your imagination?"

"I'm sure!" I protested.

"Hm." Dezmin mumbled, going back to his book. Suddenly, his eyes widened and he looked at me.

"What?" I said. "Is there something on my face?"

"No." he replied. "I just remembered something."

I sat down next to him. "What?"

"Well, I know of this really old story that Leah once read to me." he grabbed a notebook and pulled out a pencil.

"What was it about?"

He started sketching an eye and what looked like a necklace beside it.

Flashback:

"Lee-ah!" A ten year old little boy called.

"Ugh, Dezmin, be patient!" a fifteen year old Leah called, walking into the his bedroom with a book and Dezmin tugging at her jeans.

When Dezmin realized that they were in his bedroom, he scampered for his bed and pulled the covers up to his chin, looking at Leah with huge, puppy dog eyes. Leah chuckled at the cuteness of her little brother.

"So?" he cried. "What book are you reading today?"

She climbed onto the small bed and pulled the tiny boy close. "Well, today, we're gonna read a story that's called, 'The Charmer's Eyes'."

"What's that?" the little one asked.

"You'll see as I read the story, okay?" Leah replied. "So listen carefully."

He nodded and closed his eyes, waiting to hear his sister's voice.

"Once upon a time," she began. "There was a wandering merchant hired by the head of a very powerful family. He was sent to search for great treasures of the world. And by treasures, that meant all sorts of different things. Things like precious jewels, metals, spices, rare plants, and even people."

"People?" Dezmin asked. "People are considered treasures?"

"They are." Leah replied. "The merchant was sent to look for people with different kinds of talents, specialities, things that make them unique."

"Like what kind?" the little boy asked.

"Hm," She pondered. "Well, people like artists, architects, engineers, doctors, writers, entertainers, people like that."

The boy nodded in confirmation, so Leah continued.

"One day, the merchant was walking along the roads of a very poor country, when he came upon some locals talking. They were talking about how their village lord had put up his adopted younger brother for anyone to take. When the merchant asked why the lord would do that to his own brother, the locals replied saying, "Because the little boy is strange."