Chapter 5: Discoveries

l ran off as fast as l could. Although Dezmin's weight was still pulling me down, l was determined to get Dezmin out of here. Toby had told me to keep going south but truthfully l had no idea where south was. So l kept on running till l realized that my dad being obsessed with sailing and navigation, had given me a pocket compass to always carry with me. That being used, l spotted the red stone once again and kept on running in that direction till l got to a small rest stop on a highway which l didn't recognize. The owner immediately called the police and the ambulance after seeing the condition the two of us were in. Within minutes, we were in the hospital which my mom worked at. l was pretty glad that it was this hospital of all places, l had ended up. They took Dezmin away on a stretcher, while leaving me to deal with my furious and way too worried mom. l didn't blame her, really. l was missing for almost two days.

That made me remember Leah and Liam. As l squirmed under my mother's hug, l had so many questions coming to my head.

What was that earthquake about?

Why, when we were caved in, did the passage lead us to a forest that l didn't recognize?

And where did Leah and Liam end up?

Some of my questions ended up being answered when my mom had told me that because of the earthquake, the school was in rubble and that meant that there was no school for us until they found another place to hold classes. I later had asked her what happened to Leah and Liam, when she replied with, "There was a student and the assistant nurse in the building. Is that who you're talking about?" I had nodded. "They're okay. Though they had minor injuries, they're okay. I heard that they were going on about two more people being missing. Apparently the nurse recognized me and she told me that you were one of the kids missing, along with her little brother." Mom explained that the police had been frantically looking for us and now that we were found, the focus had been shifted to investigating what had caused the earthquake. So I was free for about a week or two.

So here I am now, walking through the halls of King's View hospital, finally out of my mother's grasp. Lord, imagine the lecture I'd get from my dad. As I was walking past the front desk, someone bumped into me.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" he said, well, more like yelled at me. I paused and realized that I'd recognize that rude voice anywhere.

"You ought to try and become a little nicer, Liam." I told him. He turned around and his eyes widened as he saw who I was.

"You!" he exclaimed as he grasp my shoulders causing me to wince in pain. He saw that and let me go and mumbled a very quiet sorry, making me smirk.

"So what's up?" I asked him.

"What happened to you and Dezmin?" he asked. "When you guys disappeared, Leah was practically freaking out. When the firemen and police came to rescue us, Leah told them to search very throughly for you two, but you were nowhere to be found. I had to admit, I was pretty freaked out myself, but, my god, all I wanna know right now, is where you guys were."

"We somehow ended up at Dezmin's pack house." I told him.

He blinked. "Come again?"

"We were at his pack house." I repeated, slowly this time.

"Holy shit." he said, now pacing around the lobby. "So that's how he got that gash on his leg." Liam looked back up at me. "How did you escape?"

"There was this boy." I told him. "His name was Toby and he seemed to know Dezmin and he helped us escape."

"Toby?" Liam repeated. "That fourteen year old kid?" I nodded. "Oh, if it was him, then that's a relief. He's trusted by Dezmin so I'm not worrying. But..." he fell out of sentence, and suddenly a look of horror washed over his face. "Did you meet the Alpha?" he asked, his voice shaking.