Chapter 20: Back

***AN: This will be one of the final chapters as the story is coming to an end. Thanks to everyone who reads this story! Don't forget to vote and comment! :)**

April

SCARLETT POV

It was now April and Calum and I were still going as strong as ever. School was officially on Spring Break and I was excited to just spend a week with him. We were in my room playing a game, and kissing, when there was a knock at the door. "Come in!" I called, and Kent stepped inside. "Sorry Scarlett, but do you mind if I take Calum outside and talk to him privately for a moment?" He asked politely. I looked at Calum who looked as confused as I felt. "Sure," I answered and Kent nudged his head for Calum to follow him outside. I wanted to know, but I wouldn't eavesdrop so I just sat and waited for him to come back. 

A few minutes later Calum slipped back in my room. "Everything okay?" I asked him. Calum nodded, "Yeah, it's just my parents want me to visit them." He said, sitting back down beside me. I scooched closer to him, "So are you gonna go see them?" I asked him. He shrugged, "They're my parents, I kind of have to go see them when they want." I stared at his brown eyes, "But.." I prodded, trying to get him to open up more. "But I haven't seen them since the dinner fiasco with your parents, and I've barely spoken with them either." He finished, looking at me. 

I ran my hand through his hair and down to his neck, "It will be great Cal," I encouraged him and he just gave a smile. "When are you going?" I asked. Calum sighed, "Tomorrow." He replied.

CALUM POV

I was glad that Scarlett was able to come drop me off at the airport because I don't think I could have left her without saying goodbye. Uncle Kent pulled me up to the curb and stopped the car, getting out to pull out my bag, so I could have an extra minute with Scarlett in the car because she couldn't get out for security reasons. She hugged me and I returned in by squeezing her tighter, inhaling her sweet scent. 

"Calum, you're just gonna be gone for a few days." She reminded me gently. "Too long," I mumbled as I nuzzled her neck. She chuckled and kissed my forehead, "I'm gonna call you everyday, don't you worry." Scarlett teased, flashing me her brilliant smile. "God I love you." I whispered, pulling her in for a kiss. "I love you too Calum." She replied, her blue eyes sparkling. Uncle Kent knocked on the window, "I guess that's my cue." I said, opening the door. "Have fun! I'll see you soon." She waved. 

Uncle Kent gave me a brief hug and waved goodbye, sending me inside the airport, nostalgia hitting me to just a few months ago when I first arrived in DC. It wasn't that long, but to me it felt like years. 

---BREAK---

The plane ride was uneventful and I suddenly found myself back home in Indiana. I headed to baggage claim to see only my mom waiting. She smiled and pulled me in for a hug. "Calum." She squeezed me tightly. "Hi Mom." I greeted. 

We grabbed my bag and got into her car. "Where's Dad?" I asked as she pulled out of the parking lot. "Oh he's at home waiting, he just didn't feel like coming." She answered. Ouch. 

I just nodded my head, I should have just expected this from my Dad by now. When we arrived home I dropped my bag and stepped in the house, feeling like I was in a foreign place. Dad was sitting on the couch drinking a beer and watching television. "Hey Dad." I greeted awkwardly. "Hi Calum, how are you?" He asked formally, more like an old acquaintance than my father. "I'm good, and you?" I asked. He didn't really answer but instead mumbled, "That's good, now let's talk later I'm trying to watch this show." His eyes never left the screen. I rolled my eyes, picked up my bag and trudged up to my room. 

My room looked pretty empty as I had brought a lot of my things with me to Uncle Kent's. I flopped onto my sheetless bed and pulled out my phone, quickly dialing Scarlett's number. "Miss me already?" She teased as she picked up. "Shut up." I teased back, smiling as I always did when I talked to her. "How was your flight? Did you get to the house okay?" She asked me. "At least someone cares about that." I mumbled. "What do you mean? What happened?" She asked softly. 

I explained to her my awkward arrival to the house and she just listened. "Maybe he's just tired or something?" Scarlett suggested, trying to give my father the benefit of the doubt. I shrugged my shoulders even though she couldn't see me. "That's him." I said. "Well at least you've got your mother, me and Uncle Kent. He misses you, he seems lonely." She said. I smiled, "I'll call him later." I told her. 

Scarlett and I chatted for a while longer before hanging up. I continued to just chill on my bed when my parents called me downstairs. 

I trotted downstairs where my parents were sitting on the couch. "What's up?" I asked. Mom looked at Dad and started, "Well we wanted to say that Kent has been updating us on how good you're doing, and now we think you should come home." She said. I looked at my parents, my mom looked excited while my dad looked disinterested. "Why? Why now?" I asked. My mom started to answer but I held my hand up, "No I want to hear from Dad. Why do you want me back Dad, did you miss me? Do you want us to be best buddies now?" I asked sarcastically. His face darkened, "Calum don't be a little shit." He spat. Mom looked uncomfortable, "Sorry I get it from you Dad. And you know what? I like living with Uncle Kent. DC is a great place for me and I think it's where I should stay, I can't spiral back." I said firmly. "Calum please stay." My mom begged, her eyes pleading me. I was torn.