Chapter 4: Observations

CALUM POV

As I sat in class, I found myself extremely bored. It didn't take me long to figure out that this was a low level class, covering material a lot slower and simpler. I had read all this material before, I knew it, I understood it, and didn't want to have to do it again. 

I watched the clock and counted the minutes before I could go. Fortunately this was the last class of the day. When the bell rang I shot out of the classroom, grateful for freedom. 

As I walked the halls back to the doors, I saw Scarlett walking alone. I saw Uncle Kent walking a bit farther behind, presumably to give her some space, but besides that she walked alone, her head bent down towards the ground. 

Uncle Kent finally saw me and motioned me over to him. "How was your first day?" He asked me as we walked through the crowded hallways. "Fine." I mumbled. He nodded, "I want to hear more about it tonight. Now I need to take Scarlett home, and unfortunately for you, you're gonna need to come with me. But there's plenty of places for you to do your homework. 

At this point Scarlett was waiting patiently by the door for us. She continued looking down at the ground as she was doing before, tucking a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. "Ready?" He asked her and she nodded mutely. 

Kent opened the door first and stepped out, nodding when Scarlett could step outside. She held the door open for me. I said thanks and she meekly replied "You're welcome". She seemed very shy for a girl who must be used to being in the spotlight so much. Scarlett was almost cute, but I quickly remembered that Scarlett and I were two very different people and that there was no use in me finding her cute.

SCARLETT POV

The car ride home was fairly awkward with Calum in the back seat with Kent and I. Calum sat on the same side bench as Kent and I sat across. He sat with his arms crossed, a brooding glare out the window. 

When we returned home I was surprised to notice that Calum also followed inside. Beck, another security guard was in the hall. I politely greeted him and continued to my room. "Beck will you show Calum to Study A? He can do his homework there, I'm on shift until six." Kent asked the other guard. Beck nodded and led Calum the opposite way. 

As usual I headed into my room to do my homework while Kent stood outside the door. I took a seat on my bed and turned on some music. Everyday was the same thing, go to school, come home, do homework alone in my room, eat dinner, bed. 

I was working on my Calculus homework when I heard some loud voices outside the hall. "When?" I heard a voice, who I soon realized was Calum's, ask. "I get out at six, that's when." Kent replied. 

"But." Calum whined. 

"Calum, go do your homework." Kent replied firmly. 

---BREAK---

I headed to the hall to get something to eat. Kent let me go to the kitchen myself now, so I slowly wandered through the halls. When I entered the quiet kitchen I saw Calum in there. 

As I stepped in Calum whipped around, he looked a little embarrassed. "Hey," He mumbled, his mouth full. I smiled, "Hi." I replied back quietly, going into the fridge to get a yogurt out. "Beck said I could get something to eat." He explained, a little defensively. I held my hands up, "Okay, I didn't say you couldn't." I replied. 

Calum's face softened a bit, "Sorry." He apologized, "I'm used to people jumping on my case about everything before I can explain." He said quietly. I nodded understandingly, "Well I'm not like that, I understand what it's like to be judged sometimes." I said softly. I then retreated back to my bedroom, feeling a little bit different about Calum.