Chapter 14: Duties

TWO MONTHS LATER 

CALUM POV

It was now December and the holidays were fast approaching. Scarlett and I have been going strong, but lately she's been so busy. We've barely been able to hang out because she's always having to go out with her parent's to various holiday events.

"Babe c'mon, we haven't hung out in forever! Can't you just skip the party, it's not like your parents are speaking or anything, they're just attending the party." I bargained with her as I flopped down on her bed dramatically. "We're hanging out right now." Scarlett pointed out and I rolled my eyes. "Yeah but just to work on a history project." I countered. 

"Please just skip the party and cuddle with me." I begged, giving her my best puppy dog face. She smiled and kissed my lips. "You know I would rather do that, but I can't." She told me, looking around her room for a spare glue stick. "We really have to work on this project." She said, making it clear that she was done with the discussion. 

I sighed and joined her on the floor where we were currently working on a poster board project. 

About forty five minutes later I was starting to get bored. Scarlett looked adorable with her eye brows furrowed, concentrating on making the board look nice. Part of her blonde hair had fallen from its braid and was out over her shoulder. I slowly leaned closer to her and brushed the hair away, pressing my lips gently against her neck, nuzzling in her warmth. I sucked easily on her smooth skin and I could feel her come alive. "Calum." She giggled, leaning into me. 

I moved up to her jaw, the spot I knew drove her crazy. She wrapped her arms around my neck, and I in turn grabbed her waist and pulled her tiny body onto my lap. She kissed my lips, her tongue darting around in my mouth. I ran my fingers through her hair, shaking it loose. She nipped at my earlobes and I had to adjust my pants because that was my favorite spot. We were lost in each other when suddenly we were interrupted. "Scarlett!" Mrs. Beaufork scolded her daughter. Scarlett turned a violent shade of red, and Uncle Kent was looking at me, a displeased look on her face. "Calum, we should go, my shift is done." Uncle Kent said awkwardly. "We'll need to discuss this later Kent." Mrs. Beaufork said and he just nodded. 

I quickly followed my Uncle, feeling really embarrassed though my heart was still making me dizzy. 

SCARLETT POV

I was mortified by being caught by mom, but at the same time I was giddy from being with Calum. "Sorry Mom, we were just taking a break from working on the project." I said sheepishly, standing up. She ran her fingers through her short hair, "Take a seat sweetheart." She said solemnly,  pointing to my bed. She joined me and stared ahead. "Look Scarlett I know you like Calum, and your father and I like him too, but we're concerned." She started. "Why?" I asked her. 

"We are in the spotlight all the time Scarlett, and we have to make sure we look presentable, for your father's sake. Elections are coming up in only two years, and we need to keep the best image possible." She said, looking at me seriously. "So what does that mean?" I asked her. 

"Honey, we need you to tame your relationship with Calum, or you need some boy who's a more kept and respectable young man. Like the governor's son." She explained. My heart was thumping and I felt myself upset. "What do you mean tame it with Calum? We never do anything in public because I'm not allowed to do anything! I'm always stuck in this freakin' house alone, and I can barely see Calum enough. You catch us kissing once, and now we need to tame ourselves? Calum actually wants to hang out with me, and you want to take that away? You want me to go back to my friendless life all alone? Well screw that!" I yelled angrily. "You have friends." She pointed out. "Who?! What other friends have you seen me with?" I questioned her. "Tasha." She replied, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Tasha? Seriously? She is barely my friend! She never wants to hang out with me! We barely talk any more! I don't have any friends because everyone either wants to use me for the fun stuff or they don't want to bother getting to know a girl who is always on house arrest with a body guard! The only one who cares is Calum, and I'm not losing him." I said angrily, storming out of my room and down the hall. 

I ran out of the house, I needed to be alone. For some reason I managed to make it outside, but I still had no idea how I was gonna make it out of the gates. I just needed to see Calum and have some time to be normal. I couldn't stand all the duties and responsibilities that I've been forced to follow for two years, I just wanted to be free. 

Then I got an idea, I saw an oak tree in the yard by a gate. I quickly climbed it and looked over at the ground on the other side. It was gonna hurt, but I knew it was my only way out. I took a deep breath and jumped, landing on my butt and outside the gates. 

I had no idea how to get to Calum's house on my own, but I was fine with taking the time to find it. 

Little did I know what was waiting for me on the outside.