Chapter 6: Ice

SCARLETT POV

I was sitting in the lunchroom eating a sandwich, half listening to yet another one of Tasha's crazy stories, and half watching Calum. He was talking to two guys, guys that were known in girl code to avoid because they were pigs. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but Calum looked angry. 

I looked back over at Tasha to comment on what she had just said when I heard a chorus of "Oh my Gods!" around the cafeteria. I looked up and saw one of the guys on the floor, Calum over him. The second guy lunged at Calum, my heart thumping nervously, I didn't want him to get hurt. The sight was horrific and in what felt like both hours and seconds, teachers, and Kent ran in to break the fight up. 

The three boys were dragged out by teachers, and Kent whispered something into his piece. Kent returned to me, trying to appear calm, but I knew inside he was feeling different. "I'm so sorry Scarlett." He apologized, his cheeks flushed. "Kent," I said gently, "It's not your fault, no need to apologize." I told him, and he smiled gratefully. "Beck's gonna assist in the day, I have to take care of Calum, and then explain this to your parents." He said. I nodded and followed him to the office where Beck would be meeting us to take over for Kent while he went to deal with Calum's punishment. 

The three boys were in the office sitting in chairs in silence. The other two boys got the brunt of the injuries but there was a red mark on Calum's cheek, a little cut on his lower lip, and I saw him cradling his hand, his knuckles bruised and red. 

I was going to say hi to Calum, when I was stopped because Beck cleared his throat, "Scarlett?" He interrupted me. I turned and smiled at the security guard, "Hey Beck," I greeted with a small smile on my face. "Where to?" He asked enthusiastically. I looked back at Calum, his face unreadable, "Physics." I answered, forcing a smile on my face. 

CALUM POV

Well, shit. I was in deep trouble. Kent was going to kill me, but worst of all, I didn't know if Scarlett was mad at me. I didn't want to come across as that scary, violent guy, but if someone insults someone I care about, and disrespects a woman, I'm not going to stand by and do nothing.

Kent sat down next to me and sighed, running his hands through his hair, loosening his tie. "Sorry." I whispered. Uncle Kent just shook his head, "Oh Calum." He whispered, disappointedly. 

---BREAK---

After getting sent home for the day and a three day school suspension for fighting, Uncle Kent drove us over to the White House. Uncle was furious, and I knew he had a right to be, I was hoping that he wouldn't be in too much trouble with work. 

We headed inside the building to a part I had never been to, the wing of the Oval Office. There was an older woman sitting at a mahogany desk, she smiled at Uncle Kent as we walked in. "Hey Kent," She greeted politely. "Hello Dorothy, are they all in there?" He asked her nervously and she nodded. I followed him to the doors, "Where do you think you're going?" He asked me. "To follow you in." I answered. Uncle Kent shook his head, "No you've done more than enough, you're waiting out here, take a seat on one of those seats." He pointed to one of the seats outside the door. I took a seat and he gave me one more look before slipping inside. 

I was sitting waiting when I saw Scarlett enter the room. She smiled at me, "Hey Calum," She said softly, "Are they still in there?" She asked and I nodded. She looked down at my hand, which was still throbbing, and I felt embarrassed. "Come with me." She instructed and I followed her. 

We headed to the kitchen where she told me to sit down on one of the stools at the kitchen island. She opened her freezer, and took out a cloth, placing some ice cubes onto it before wrapping the cloth up. "Here," She pressed the cold cloth onto my hand gently. "This should help a bit." She said. I shivered when her hand touched mine. "Thank you." I replied quietly. 

In a moment, she leaned down and pecked me on the cheek. I was stunned, "Thank you, for standing up for me to those jerks. Someone told me what the argument was about. So, thank you, I appreciate it." She smiled. "You should probably get back to the waiting room, you don't want to get in more trouble with Kent." She smiled lightly. And I practically floated back to that chair.