Chapter 10: Invitations

SCARLETT POV

I was eating breakfast when my dad and mom walked into the room. I wasn't surprised to see my mom because she often joined me for my breakfast, but it was a change to see my father, he was always so busy. It was Monday so I only had a little time before I had to leave for school. 

"Morning Scarlett." mother greeted, taking a seat, a steaming cup of coffee in her hands. She was dressed very neatly as usual, her long blonde bob clipped in a bun, and she was dressed in black slacks and a emerald green shirt. "Hey baby," Dad greeted, kissing me on the cheek before sitting down next to me. 

"Daddy, what are you doing here? Mondays you're always busy." I pointed out. He nodded, "Yes, and I have a meeting soon, but your mother and I wanted to talk to you first." He said, looking at mom who nodded. I couldn't help but feel a little nervous, gulping and nodding. "So we know you've been spending a lot of time with Kent's nephew,' Dad started, "Calum." I interrupted. "Calum,' he nodded, "And we want a chance to really meet him. I know your mother had a brief chat with him when he first arrived at the garden party, but we want a chance to sit down and talk to him, get to know his intentions." I rolled my eyes at this and my dad's overprotectiveness. "We want you to invite him over to dinner for tomorrow night." Mother finished. 

"But, it's so short of notice, I think he might be busy." I lied, trying to find an excuse to get out of an awkward dinner. "That's true." My father said, and I almost let out a sigh of relief when my mother interjected, "That's why it is a good thing we've already checked and cleared the whole thing with Kent." She said, the two of them smirking. 

When I got to school, Calum was at the other side of school working on something for Spanish class. I hadn't seen him yet today because he had to get into school early. 

Later in the day I finally found him at his locker and I popped up beside him. "Hey you!" I said to him cheerfully. Calum smiled and leaned down, pecking me on the lips. "You're awfully cheerful today." He commented as you headed down the hallway. "Well I have something to ask you." I started. "Okay, shoot." He said. 

"My parents wanted to know if you'd come to dinner tomorrow night." I said nervously, peeking up at him. "Wha-what?" He asked. I looked sweetly at him, "My parents want to meet you and get to know you." I shrugged. 

Calum was quiet for a moment so I squeezed his large arm, "Please Cal. It would mean so much to me. And they'll love you!" I promised. "Okay. I'll be there." He said. "Thank you!" I said appreciatively, leaning up on my tippy toes to kiss him on the cheek before I bounced off to class. 

--Break--

The next evening, Calum and Kent came over right on time. Calum looked really handsome with his hair gelled and a navy blue suit. He blushed awkwardly, and I returned the blush. "You look gorgeous." He complimented, looking down at my shot blue dress. "Thank you, you look very handsome." I told him. 

Kent took the lead to the dining hall and as if part of habit, he held the door open for me. I stepped through and behind me I heard Calum whisper, "Shit.". I looked up at him and noticed his face had been completely blanched. There sat two people I had never seen before, and if reading my mind, Calum said, "Those are my parents".  

AN: So sorry for the delay and the short chapter! I just wanted to get something up. Life has been crazy lately!