Chapter 19: Communication

SCARLETT POV 

The next day I woke up to a beautiful morning. Last night turned out to actually be really fun, and I found myself hanging out with Henry the whole time. He told me that he recently got a girlfriend and was really happy with her. I stepped out of my room and made my way to the dining room because I was starving. 

My phone buzzed and I noticed it was Calum, I was gonna answer but then my mom came in the room so I slid it off and on silent. I would just talk to him later. 

After eating with both of my parents, I noticed I had dozens of missed calls and text messages from Calum. I quickly read the texts and saw that Calum was furious, 'Who is that guy?', 'Are you replacing me?', and 'Who is he?' were just a few texts that filled up my inbox. I was confused but saw he attached a picture message. It was the picture the photographer from last night had taken of Henry and I, and was captioned as us being the buzz of last night's party. I chuckled at the way the tabloids would make anything, even something fake, a story. But then it hit me, Calum thought this was true, and he was jealous

I quickly dialed Calum's number, praying he would pick up. "Hello." Calum greeted coldly. "Calum, no." I started. "Are you with this guy? Who is he?" Calum asked jealously. "Calum, he's no one I promise you. His name is Henry, he's the son of the governor of Virginia." I told him honestly. There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Calum?" I asked, starting to get nervous. "Why-why was his arm wrapped around you?" He asked quietly. "We're just friends Calum, the photographer wanted a picture, that's all. Because I love you Calum, and no one else, and if it makes you feel better Henry does have a girlfriend." I said softly. "Okay." He said. "Would you like to come over? It's a beautiful day, we could have a picnic on the grass?" I suggested. "Sure, I'll be over soon." He replied. Calum still sounded a little jealous, so I wanted to be sure he knew that he had nothing to be insecure about. 

CALUM POV

Arriving at the white house, I was excited to see Scarlett in person. I just needed to hold her so I could stop that nagging feeling in my stomach from that picture.

When I arrived at the front doors, I saw Scarlett waiting for me. Her smiled brightened when she saw me, lifting all the way until her beautiful blue eyes shone. "Hey you." She greeted, skipping over to me. She leaned up on her tippy toes, and I leaned the rest of the way down to kiss her on the lips. "I have everything set up in the garden." She said, grabbing my hand and leading me to the garden.

The grass was bright green, there were flowers of every color in bloom. "This looks great Scarlett." I commented as I took a seat on the large blanket she had laid out. We sat down on the blanket and she slowly pulled out sandwiches for the two of us. 

"So who are those girls you hung out with yesterday?" She asked quietly, causing me to cough on my sandwich. "What?" I asked. "The girls in that photo you posted online?" She restated, looking at me. "I don't know what you're talking about." I said to her honestly. Scarlett rolled her eyes, she was obviously starting to get frustrated. "Calum! Stop pretending and be serious with me!" She demanded, annoyance in her tone. "I am being serious." I protested.

Her eyes were dark and narrowed at me. "Why can you be all angry and leave me aggressive texts and voicemails over a picture of me with a friend, and when I asked you calmly about a picture with girls I don't know, especially after you didn't talk to me at all yesterday, you can act dumb?" She rambled furiously, standing up. I stood up too and looked at her, "Scarlett, I really don't know." I said softly, looking her straight in the eyes. She sighed, "Yesterday you posted a photo with your friend and two girls, and you didn't respond to any of my text messages." She said, and it finally clicked. Thor took my phone all day yesterday and I hadn't checked social media since.

"Scarlett, I don't know those girls, I swear. Thor wanted to meet girls, and I didn't want you around him, so he met those girls and I swear nothing happened. Thor had my phone all day that's why I never responded." I told her honestly. She looked calmed but still unsure so I gently tilted her chin to get her to look up at me. "Love, please believe me. I don't want to be with anyone else, and I would never hurt you like that." I told her genuinely. She smiled and leaned up to kiss me. "Why don't you want me to me Thor?" She asked. "Because I didn't like who I was when I was friends with him. I like who I am for the first time in my life, since I met you, and I don't think you should meet Thor. He's wild and I don't trust him around you." I told her. She smiled, "I like who you are now too." She said coyly, letting me know everything was alright again.