1 - New Family

I stood in front of the house I was assigned to live in until I get kick out once again only I’m not stood in front of a house but more like a mansion.

The walls were painted white with a few vines growing up from one side of the wall while the door frame are styled with art nouveau with golden paint flicking in a few area making every featured to stand out.

The door were made out of wood and painted in red and black with a black lion door bell or whatever they used to call it. Some windows were stained glass while the others were obviously new as they were too modern.

I look back down at the paper on my hand where my aunt wrote down the address of my father’s parent’s house and told me they had turned their house into a boarding house.

“Can I help you?” a gentle voice asks me from behind making me jump.

I place my hand over my chest and slowly I turned around to see an old woman standing behind me with gloves on and garden tools on her hand. “Um, is this the Valentine boarding house?” I ask feeling uncomfortable for some reason.

The woman narrowed her eyes before it went wide like I just showed her some magic tricks that she never knew. “Jillian? Is that you?” her voice full of hope and wonder.

Feeling lost and uncomfortable I nod my head before the woman broke into a huge smile slightly creeps me out.

She walks towards me and wraps her arms around me. “You had grown so much!” She pulled away and studied my face while I force a smile. “The last time I saw you, you were still in diapers.”

She looks at me one more time before her expression flattered to sadness before quickly masking it with something else only she wasn’t quick enough. “You probably don’t remember me but I’m your fa…” Her expression changes once again as if she was debating something inside her mind. “I’m your grandmother.”

“Mo? Who’s this?” an old man said as he made his way towards...well grandma.

“Oh Pete! This is Jillian!” grandma said sounding excited. The man looks at me for a few minutes before breaking into a huge smile. “Jillian this is my husband Pete! Your grandfather!”

“Hi.” Was my lame answered before feeling beyond creep out at how the two couple looks at me. “Um, is it alright if you could…um…show me to my room?”

Please say yes! Please say yes!

“Oh! Of course!” grandma said “You must be tired.” Grandma said before she made her way inside while I followed. “Your stuff came yesterday and we put it in your room.”

“Thank you.” I said feeling relief that my stuff didn’t got lost.

“I’ll give you a tour of the house later on but for now you should rest. Dinner is around seven so don’t be late.” Grandma said before we made a beeline pass the dinning hall to the kitchen.

“This used to be the basement where we store some stuff but we turn it into a room since we got this place renovated.” She said before she opened the door next to the floor to ceiling glass window in the kitchen.

Grandma switched the light on revealing a ‘c’ shape carpet stairs. “I hope you don’t mind having this room.” She said once we reach the bottom of the stair.

She presses another switch lighting the room. I stare in awe at how lovely the room was made minus my boxes on one corner.

The room was a double size bedroom, bigger than the one I used to always get with a double bed, a study table, a sofa at the end of the bed, a television with DVD player and an end table on both side of the bed where two adorable peachy lamps were place.