Scars run deep

During the fight the clothes both vampires worn had been attacked almost as vigorously as they had themselves. The white shirt Jasper had been wearing earlier, the same one he had worn for the past six decades, hung in tatters around his shoulders. The buttons, still in the button holes were ripped from the side they should have been attached to. The sleeves were sliced open, pieces of pale skin rising between the split. There were several slashes across his chest, it looking like the skin of a white tiger, there was more skin showing than shirt.

But it was what littered his skin that shocked me even though i had seen it before.

The well-worked, curving muscles of his chest were covered in callous, malicious bites.

The same sordid scars that covered his neck and jaw, constantly overlapping and hiding each other. Deep scars that hadn’t just hurt the surface for a short while, the scars that had buried connections to his heart and rooted themselves there permanently.

He noticed my expression of horror and mirrored it, getting the wrong idea. He crossed his arms over his chest, trying to hide his scared body from me. He turned to the side, so his shoulder was facing me and looked down.

“I’m sorry, you shouldn’t have to see me like this. I do not know why your future said you have to take a monster like me with you. Go,” He instructed without lifting his eyes from the dirty ground.

“Jasper, no!” I said as firmly as I could manage, taking a step towards him; he took another back.

“You don’t understand, I didn’t mean... you don’t scare me at all, these, these are part of who you are,” I said my voice forming the perfect innuendo. I stepped, slowly at first, then rushing in human terms towards him. I traced one of the scars near the top of his left arm. He flinched away from my touch. I smiled at the answer to my latest search.

“You’ll learn to accept my touch,” I told him softly, his eyebrows knitted in confusion but he said nothing more.

“you really must be mad, Alice to get along with someone like me,”

“Well I must be entirely insane then.”

The journey continued and the snow got deeper as we walked, we were coming closer to the next stage of our lives. Jasper didn’t know that I knew where his past friends were. I was trying to keep it as a surprise for him, he’d be thrilled to see them again.

On the day we were proven to be meeting them the snow was at the deepest it had been in a while although we were getting further into civilisation now, we walked through back streets. Both jasper and I looked a little strange dressed in summer clothes or, in Jaspers case topless.

Jasper still continued to act self-conciously around me, to be fair I was rather enjoying it but he had such hatred of what he looked like, all his wounds ran deeper than the scars we can see.

I eventually got fed up with it and, on the day I planed to do a bit of clothes robbery I told him exactly what I thought.

“Oh come off it Jasper, I’ve seen far worse bits of you than that,” I froze after I spoke, realising I’d just released the wrong information to him. “Oops,”