The Night Before Life Goes On

*The title is the name of a Carrie Underwood song, but the song itself has nothing to do with the chapter*

Jen's POV

After the girls went to sleep I called Josh.  I was just making sure that he was still coming.  I fished for my phone in the bottom of my purse and came up empty.  Okay, where was it?  I looked around the house and found it in my car's console.  Way to go Jen.  I grabbed my phone and went into the living room as I dialed his number.  It was like muscle memory to dial his number.  Like it was coded in my brain.

"Hey beautiful."

"Hey handsome."

"It's kinda late.  What ya calling about?"

"Are you still gonna be there?"

"Of course!  I'm leaving after I go to my parent's house."

"They're gonna be really excited to see you."

"I hope so.  Hey, are we still having the HG Christmas party on Christmas Eve?"

"Yeah, and then we all do our personal Christmas' on Christmas Day."

"Alright.  Sounds like a plan.  I can't wait to be with you."

"Me too.  Well I have to go.  I love you Jen."

"I love you more Josh."

"Night."

"Night."

I hung up the phone after that and went upstairs to check on the girls.  I went into Stella and Tori's room first.  Sometimes they would wake up in the middle of the night with bad dreams.  I had to completely remodel the bedroom so two could sleep in there.  It actually turned out pretty good.  They had picked out the princess theme.  I had a feeling that it would last until they were six, possibly seven, before they wanted to change it to something more 'grown up girl'.  But for right now they loved it.

I checked Stella's bed and she was sleeping soundly, her arms wrapped protectively around her Kit doll

I checked Stella's bed and she was sleeping soundly, her arms wrapped protectively around her Kit doll.  Those two sure did love those dolls!  I turned around to look at Tori's bed and she had kicked part of the blanket off her.  I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not, so I just pulled a lighter blanket over her just so she wouldn't get cold.  "Goodnight beautifuls.  I love you two so much." I whispered.  And I almost swear I saw them both smile.

I then went down the hall to G's room.  I could probably bet that she was dead asleep.  She's been really tired since she's been trying to juggle dance, gymnastics, the play, and her everyday life.  She must have gone right to sleep, her hair was still a little wet from her shower.  She usually lets it dry at least.  I sat down on the edge of her bed and pushed a piece of hair away from her face, careful not to wake her up.

"I love you Genesis.  You are my beginning." I whispered.  I watched her chest slowly rise and fall with her breathing.  I carefully got up and walked away from her bed.  I watched her from her door for a minute before returning back down stairs.  I was just gonna check to make sure I got all the presents.  I grabbed my checklist that I hid under the couch.  Pretty clever huh?  No one would look under the couch for anything!