Day 27

'In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.'

Ephesians 6:16-17

Lets face it, faith is powerful. Just have a look at a few bible verses. I mean, come on! Faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains? Seriously, that just proves how strong it really is. And look here, faith can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. That means that with just a bit of faith, you can stop the Devil from shooting you down! Can't you see what it can do? And honestly, don't lose your faith. Even if it is down to one tiny mustard seed, don't let it go altogether. If we have faith in Him that loves us (probably bad grammar there - I don't care), we will be protected by all kinds of dangers.

And here comes the helmet of salvation. I can't quite remember, have I done a previous devotional about salvation? I don't think I have. Anyway, our salvation is the deliverance from harm and sin that God has given us. OK, here's another question. What does a helmet protect? Your head. And if your head was injured in battle, you are very likely to die. But if you have a helmet, you will not die. See what I'm getting at here? Salvation means we will not die - helmet means we will not die. Double not die. Yay! So yeah, if we have the helmet of salvation, we will not die, but instead, we will have eternal life.

And so we conclude today's devotional at the sword of the spirit. The Holy Spirit is like a sword - if we have it, then we will always be able to fight back. There's no point in walking into battle with a full armour but no sword. It makes no sense - what's the point in fighting if you don't have a weapon? We are supposed to defeat the powers of evil, not just stand there and let them fling their arrows at you! The Holy Spirit will guide you, it will tell you what to say if someone talks against God, it will help you to fight the Devil with the strength in it. The Holy Spirit is unbelievably important - well, actually, it's God! We are fighting with God as our sword! Think of that!

Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank you for giving me the sword of the spirit, the helmet of salvation and the shield of faith. Thank you that I will be protected by the armour you have given me. Please help me to know when to strike my sword. Help me to be safe and protected by your armour.

Amen