See You Again

Several weeks later I was sitting at my desk sorting my notes for my latest piece when Ella tapped me on the shoulder. Ella was the first person to befriend me at my new job. She sat at the conjoining desk in front of mine. The desks were set up this way so journalists could collaborate on stories together. Mr. Williams thought it would help lessen the workload on his employees. Because of this set up, Ella and I naturally became friends quickly.

"Ready for lunch?" she asked. I could hear her paper bag crinkle behind me.

"Lunch time already?" I said adding something to a scrap of paper. "I feel like I just got here!"

"Well you've been working not watching the clock like me."

"Hence I will be getting a raise before you!" I joked standing up and grabbing my lunch.

"We'll see about that Miss Big Shot," Ella retorted, linking her arm with mine as we made our way to the lunch room.

Walking through the door, I saw Mr. Williams pouring coffee into his black mug that never seemed to leave his grasp. Ella nudged my side at the sight of him. The delicious sight of him. I tried not to stare, but the man was making it difficult. His well fitted suit made my eyes wander his body trying to see what was hidden underneath the dark material. I felt my cheeks warm when he turned around and smiled at us.

"Hello, ladies," he said walking past us and exiting the room.

"He loves you," Ella stated sitting down at our usual table. My eyebrows scrunched together adding to my skeptical reaction.

"He's our boss."

"So? He's a man, too!"  She glanced out the door he had just left. "And a fine one at that."

"Ella!" I scolded.

"I'm only saying this because if you don't go for it, someone else will!" She took a bite of her turkey sandwich with no cheese.

"I can't ask my boss out, Ella. Plus, I'm not interested in dating right now." I said the last part quietly like it was something embarrassing to admit.

"Cause of your ex?" she asked, chewing her mouth full of food.

While getting to know each other, Ella had learned of my recent breakup. I didn't tell her any of the details, like the fact I had been dating a famous musician.

"Yeah, it's still pretty new." I picked at the crust on my sandwich.

"I understand." She nodded making her blonde bangs fall over her eyes.

While we continued eating our lunches, Olivia and Janine, the magazine's gossip columnists, walked in holding their matching pink mugs. Because they were in charge of gossip, that's all they talked about unfortunately. They acted as if they personally knew the celebrities they were writing about and that us other journalists were unworthy of their time.

"So apparently he's dating that model Pattie now," Olivia said adding a scoop of sugar to her coffee.

"Pattie who?" Janine asked bringing the mug to her lips.

"One of those schoolgirls that was in the movie last year with them. Born, Bode, Boyd! Pattie Boyd!" I coughed at the sound of that name, almost spitting my sandwich on Ella.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said clearing my throat. Actually, I wasn't on account of who they were talking about. That model that had been on the set of A Hard Day's Night was dating a Beatle now and I knew exactly which one. Because John and Ringo were married and Paul was soon to join them, it had to be George. I couldn't believe it; especially since George told me not to worry after that rabbit toothed blonde got a little too friendly with him.