To Go or Not To Go

I continued to stare at Ringo. He had hurt written all over his face. Before I even thought of something to say, I began babbling like an idiot.

“I-I-uh-”

“Ringo, this is Michelle,” Suzie told the boy sitting next to her. “She’s the one who’s not particularly fond of you guys.”

Ringo nodded as if he remembered all of a sudden. “Oh, right. . .the American one!” he said looking at me.

“Yeah,” I said, still feeling guilty. “I’m sorry I insulted you and your band; I just wasn’t expecting you to walk in. . .” I trailed off and looked down at my chipped nail polish. Great! Now I made it sound like I’d insult him even if he wasn’t here!

“It’s alright!” Ringo said. “I’ve heard worse!”

Boy, could he bounce back fast!

“So, uh how do you two know each other?” I asked them.

Suzie immediately perked up at my question. She giggled before answering me.

“See, that’s my big news I wanted to tell you!” she exclaimed, her voice getting louder and louder. But then her voice got quiet again.

“Me and Ringo are. . .” she looked down at her feet awkwardly. Ringo reached for her hand and finished her sentence.

“A couple!” he stated happily as he held her hand.

“Yeah!” Suzie confidently agreed. She looked up at Ringo, who started leaning into her. Before they could kiss, though, I interrupted them.

What? Since when?!” I yelled.

Suzie and Ringo looked at me in bewilderment. Ringo stood up and said he had to use the bathroom. I knew he was only leaving to give me and Suzie a few minutes alone.

“Well,” Suzie began. “You know how I’ve been going to the Cavern Club a lot? Well, me and Ringo met one night after they played and things just . . . happened . . .”

“And you didn’t tell me?” I said.

 “I’m telling you now, aren’t I?” Suzie shouted back.

“Oh my! Suzie I’m so happy for you!” I said with a big smile.

“Really?” my friend asked. “You’re not upset?”

“No! This is great!” I told her.

I was a little hurt that she hadn’t told me sooner. At the same time, though, I was ecstatic for her. She deserved this. Someone to call her own, someone to spoil her, someone to make her happy. Why couldn’t I have that? Oh right . . . I have Brad. . .

As I thought about this, I noticed Suzie giving me an expectant look, like she was waiting for me to say something.

“What?” I asked.

 “Your big news?” she said.

“Oh, right!” I said trying to sound enthusiastic.

For some reason, my news wasn’t as exciting as it had been ten minutes ago.

Maybe I should just tell her later. . .

No, that wouldn’t be right. She was my best friend and she deserved to know. Plus, if I told her about Brad maybe that would reassure me of the choice I’d just made . . . right?

“Well, on the walk over here,” I began, but soon stopped when Ringo returned.

I didn’t want to reveal my new relationship in front of him. He was a complete stranger! I decided to continue the conversation when it was more private.