Dubious Downfall

“Why are you so paranoid?” George groaned as he pulled a clean t-shirt over his head. “They’re just mad fans that don’t know any better.”

“You don’t hear what they call me when I have to walk through those crowds!” I exclaimed rolling over onto my stomach and clutching the pillow under me. “They’re ruthless.”

George and I were arguing again about the same old things: the hysterical fans, the matter of meeting his family and the issue of commitment. This had been happening more frequently throughout the summer. It seemed like George had nothing else on his mind other than me meeting his family. I didn’t understand his persistence at all. Why couldn’t we just keep things the way they were?

That’s what I had been doing over the summer: avoiding the Harrison’s and more responsibility in our relationship while fending off the insane girls that were trying to get their hands on the boys. They hated seeing any of them with their female companies and told us to our faces. That was the topic we were discussing now.

“Michelle,” George sighed lighting a cigarette. “Don’t listen to them, they’re only jealous of you.”  

“I know.” I looked down at the corner of my pillow.

“Maybe. . .” he paused in thought. “If we moved in together, they’d realize how serious our relationship is.”

Grinding my teeth together, I tried to remain calm. I knew if I said the wrong thing, I would hurt him. Yet, I truly didn’t understand why he wanted us to live together or rather why he wanted to live with me? Everytime he suggested this, my insides cringed and twisted in horror. Taking a deep breath, I thought over my words.

“Ducky, I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” I told him.

I watched as heat rose from his neck to his ears in anger. “Why? Why isn’t it a good idea?” He crossed his arms and waited for my answer. I hated seeing him like this.

“I just have a feeling,” I whispered so he barely heard me.

George shook his head at my unsatisfactory answer before storming out of our hotel room. I cried in my pillow and replayed the fight over in my head trying to think of ways to end peacefully. I wished I could give him what he wanted, but something was holding me back. I knew what it was but I couldn’t admit it to myself or George.

Deciding to get some air, I stood up from the bed and stepped out onto the balcony of our hotel suite. I gazed out at the beautiful city that never slept. It wasn’t my first time in New York City, but each time I visited I was more amazed. The city lights glistened in the distance like stars that I could almost touch. It felt like it was broad daylight out on the streets when it was actually eight o’clock at night. I suddenly wanted to go out instead of spending my night cooped up in this room.

I walked back into the bedroom and picked up the phone next to the bed. I began dialing the number of Suzie and Ringo’s suite. I knew my friend would be the one picking up the phone because the boys were all hanging out with the folk singer Bob Dylan tonight.