Chapter 29-Lake Trip

Jessica's Point of View

I ran my hairbrush through my knotted hair mercilessly. I had five minutes until James came to pick me up so we could go do something together to celebrate the fact that Katt was leaving the hospital soon. Although I found it strange that James wanted to go do something to celebrate the fact that a complete stranger (to him at least) was getting out of the hospital, I pushed my suspicions aside.

My threw my hairbrush to the ground in frustration and decided to just put my hair up in the ponytail. Just as I had finished brushing my teeth, I heard the doorbell ring. Assuming it was James, I called to Will asking him to open the door for him. Seconds after I had asked my dear, loving brother to open the door for James, I heard him say, "It's open."

I sighed mentally taking back all the nice things I said about Will and replaced them with words such as stupid and lazy.

My foot had just hit the bottom step when I saw Will get up and unlock the locked door. I laughed in my head; he thought he could get out of getting up and take a short cut instead. Well that didn't work out as he had planned. Didn't he know that mom and dad always lock the door before leaving for work? Apparently not.

I smiled at James as he stood half in our house half outside on the porch. Was Will intimidating him? Who am I kidding, Will doesn't intimidate anyone.

"Ready?" James said reaching out his arm and connecting it with mine (the one that didn't have the broken wrist).

I nodded and followed him to his car that was parked in our driveway. He sat down in the drives seat and I took my place in the passenger's seat. In just seconds we were speeding down the road.

After sitting in the car for a few moments, I realized I had no idea where we were going. I let James continue driving for a few more moments until I couldn't restrain my curiosity, "Where are we headed?"

James bluntly replied, "Build-a-Bear."

I laughed, "Are you serious?"

I hadn't been to Build-a-Bear since a field trip when I was in girl scouts over five years ago, so I was shocked to hear that that was where I would be spending my afternoon.

~*~

A few windy turns later and we had reached the mall, home of the local Build-a-Bear shop. I picked up my purse that help only a pair of socks (don't ask), my phone, and my wallet, and walked into the mall with James by my side.

I had no idea where the Build-a-Bear store was and apparently neither did James, because as soon as we entered the mall, he guided us over to the map of the mall.

After we found the store on the map, we were on our way.

I have to admit, I was very surprised this is what James wanted to do. Aren't most guys hanging out at each other's house watching TV. and getting fat? Apparently James isn't normal like that.

As soon as I saw the Build-a-Bear place, I wanted to turn and run. It was jammed pack full of young, screaming kids, but I didn't, I didn't want to turn down James' kind gesture like a jerk. Instead I squeezed my way right into the middle of the kids. Sure, I like kids, but not this many in this small of a place.

 All the ladies who were supposed to be helping us put our bears together were busy attending to the children, so James and I were on our own.

I looked through all the choices of bears there was and was amazed. There was so many! I decided to go with a green bear with white ears and a white nose. I decided I would give it to James, after all green is favorite color, I think.