Chapter 27-Little Boys and Stressful Texts

James' Point of View

I glanced around nervously; is this the right time to ask Jessica? I thought about it for a moment longer as Jessica stared patiently at me. Why does this have to be so hard? Should I, should I not. Should I, should I not...

"James?" she questioned once again snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Would you...go swing on the swing with me?" I said sighing at my own stupidy. Was that really the best thing I could come up? I am too much of a coward to ask her.

I watched her face as it changed from relief to disappointment. Was she really disappointed?

"My wrist, remember?" Jessica replied.

I felt like an idiot, "Oh yeah."

We continued to eat in silence, that is until some rude little three year old sat down and helped himself to our food. His mom quickly rushed over and picked him up and apologized for his behavior.

"Aww he is so cute," Jessica gushed as he was carried away and was set down on to the top of the slide.

I nodded in agreement.

I sat up and scooted closer to Jessica to the point where we were just inches away. She looked at me and gave me a warm smile before leaning her head on my shoulder. I could tell she was tired since she had dark circles under her eyes. I wonder why she didn't get much sleep.

"Let's go do something before I fall asleep on your shoulder," Jessica suggested.

 "Like what?" I asked wanting to remind her that her wrist was broken and last I checked was still in a great amount of pain.

She pondered it for a moment then looked down at her wrist. I heard her mumble something under her breath, but I couldn't tell what she was saying.

"Oh yeah. Then let's just keep sitting here."

I felt automatically guilty; it was partly my fault that her wrist was broken.

I pulled her closer as she began to doze off on my shoulder.

My mind began to wander as I looked down at the sleeping girl who had just recently became my best friend. Quite frankly I can't believe I was sitting here now. I should be spending the day with Chris and Aaron parting or practicing football so we could win the next game, but I am like spending time with Jessica more than spending time with them.

Jessica shifted her weight but still remained on my shoulder.

Since she was asleep, I had more time to think. If I was my brother, I would have already asked her. Too bad I am not my brother. My thought continued to wander, but remained about the same person--Jessica.

"Mommy," I heard the little boy who had visited us earlier call, "I think that girl over there is dead. She hasn't moved."

His mom looked to where he was pointing, "Cole, she is just asleep. Calm down."

At that point I heard Jessica giggle and I looked at her.

"Even though he just woke me up, I love that little boy. He is adorable," Jessica said readjusting herself so she was now lying on my lap.

"Getting a little too comfortable?" I smirked not that I minded it. While in my head I was happy she felt comfortable around me.

Without a reply Jessica closed her eyes attempting to fall asleep again.

I stroked her hair. In her pocket, I saw her phone light up allow me to see she had a new text.

Being the nosey person I am, I reached into her pocket and grabbed her phone. Sure, I probably shouldn't have, but I couldn't help it

It read:

 Hurry to the hospital

I looked nervously down at Jessica. She had told me all about Katt's situation and I knew this text had to do with Katt. I sighed and then woke Jessica up.

This wasn't how this day was supposed to go.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*• ++**++**++**++**++**++**++**++ *•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

A/N:

Hey!

I am very sorry I didn't update sooner. I was on vacation. I know I am a terrible person. Forgive me?

I will try to update within three days. My family is actually having some problems and it is putting a lot of extra stress on me, so if I don't update in three days that is why.

Well how did you like the chapter? Did I make James sound too girly? Let me know you opinions!

Comment. I would love to hear you thoughts on the chapter!

Vote! It means a lot to see other people enjoying my work!

Follow. I love to get new followers and become friends with all my readers.

Share. Do you think your friends would like this story? Suggest it to them and we will find out!

Keep reading. I am sure you want to know what happens next and that's the only way you can find out.

I love and appreciate you guys more than you could ever know!

~AMY